Overfeeding??

iVillage Member
Overfeeding??
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 8:18am

Help! My baby is 3.5 weeks old, and eats and sleeps like a champion. She goes 4 -6 hour stretches sleeping, and when she eats, wants at least 5 ounces, and sometimes continues to show signs of hunger after that, so I will give her another .5 to 1 ounce. She feeds about 6 times  a day. So, the amount she is taking in is normal, but can her little stomach even hold that much?? Should I be concerned that she's getting too much, or happy that my young baby sleeps for such long stretches??

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 1:33pm
If your pediatrician says her weight gain is appropriate, then just be happy! When you are feeding her, if you aren't already, you might try holding the bottle more horizontal (but not letting air into the nipple of course). This can slow down the feeding if she is a guzzler. But remember, if you were breastfeeding you would have no idea how much she was taking at a time. If she is sleeping well, gaining appropriately, and seems happy, then you are doing fine!

Photobucket</

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 1:58pm

Thank you so much! The pedi says her weight gain is fine. I do try to hold the bottle horizontal, and force her to take breaks, but she is a guzzler. She was at the breast also when I was able to feed her straight from it.