New Here - Question about Type of Pump and Output

iVillage Member
New Here - Question about Type of Pump and Output
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 10:13am

Hi I am new here and so glad to find this board and everyone's very helpful input.

I've been EPing for about 3/4 weeks. I have been pumping heavily since the beginning and was using a nipple shield a lot during the day but my son has gotten less and less efficient with the nipple shield and needing more and more supplemented (pumped) milk.  So here we are.

I use the Medela Freestyle.  I like the pump for the most part and I am pumping every 4-5 hours for about 20 mins and I get about 32-36 oz a day, which I guess is pretty average.  My son, however, has a ridiculously huge appetite. I keep telling myself that I must be overfeeding or that he is going through a growth spurt but he eats at least 30 oz a day, sometimes more.  This means I don't have much of a stock which worries me a little bit.  I would love to be one of these women with a 2 month supply in the freezer but I know I am lucky to at least produce enough for my hungry LO.

My main question is this, since we are doing OK with the Freestyle, should I still look into renting a hospital-grade pump?  I am a little worried about that Freestyle breaking since it was very pricey ($400) and I know it is supposed to be used only part-time and I am now using it 100% of the time.  Do any women here have this pump or do most women rent the hospital-grade pump?  Also, where is the best place to rent a hospital-grade pump? I'm guessing I just need to call up the local hospitals.

Thanks

iVillage Member
If you have the resources, go ahead and try renting a hospital pump just to see. The hospital or your OB's office is a great place to get info on where to rent.

I used a medela freestyle full time for a year, and it's ready to go if I need it for baby number 2, who is supposed to arrive this week. A lot of moms on here use the freestyle full time without problems. I had an average supply and ended up with about a month in the freezer since I could sock away a little each day in the early months and then rotated it. My pump never let me down.

Photobucket</

iVillage Member
Hello. I use a Medela symphony, or the hospital grade pump. I personally love it! I heard the freestyle is to finicky but a lot of women love it. If renting a hospital grade isn't really in the budget maybe your local WIC program could help cover the cost or provide you with one?
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers