Feelings and Fall Time

iVillage Member
Feelings and Fall Time
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 11:16am

There are things I enjoy about this time of year.  Cooler weather, the leaves changing color, and fewer insects out and about.   Yet even with those things I like for whatever reason this time of year seems to produce some sort of underlying anxiety /sadness for me.

I've never quite determined the exact cause but it seems to happen around this time of year, almost every year. 

I guess this post can serve two purposes.

1) If you want to talk about something you like about the fall please do.

2) Do you have some issue with a certain time of the year that you can't quite figure out what is causing it? 

Talk about one, talk about both, or talk about none of the above and just say hi if you want. 

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 8:26pm
I like fall too. The changing colors. Going back to school.
I have to admit though the holiday season is not great for me. The holidays were never great when I was a kid.
I try to spend them relaxing and doing what I want with my husband and not think of the past.
Community Leader
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 8:39pm

Hi Zoe,

Just wanted to say I have "Ambivalent" or mixed feelings to around this time.

Last year my dd ended up in the hospital in September actually fell on my beloved Mom's birthday.

She passed away many years ago.

****************************************************************************************************************************************

~Triggering~

I find this month hard because a SO committed Suicide the month of September.

I used to love September and going back to school as a kid.

I realized it was because one of the worst Summers I had was where my "Abuser" had access.

For two whole weeks.

I cringe now.

Loved the summers with my own two kids.

This really made me think.

<3

Nightangel
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 4:44am

I love autumn for a number of reasons. But as we start getting towards Thanksgiving and Christmas I have a hard time. I have some specific memories of abuse that center around the holidays and my abuser. So that makes it tough that I can't seem to shake those. Some years now are better than others for me. I try to stay focused on the present and my own family now, but there's so much baggage with my parents/siblings that it can very difficult for me at times to be around them at holiday times. This year things are especially difficult with them all (it's a long complicated story that's bothering me greatly) so I'm worried about how things will be. October has just begun and I'm already having issues with depression.

I love the colors in fall. I love hearing the leaves crunch under my feet. I love the smell of fall. I love pumpins as decorations, food, as a candle scent, as a coffee drink. I love the crisp evening and morning air and the warmth in the afternoon. I love turning on the furnance for the first time and wrapping up in a blanket to read when it's getting cold. I'm glad all the busyness of summer is ending--no more mowing, watering, raking, gardening, with time to focus on indoors. I look forward to the autumn and Halloween decorations. I love to have trick-or-treaters at our house. I love taking photos of fall colors. I enjoy the shorter amount of sunlight as we can spend more time inside together. I look forward to hot chocolate with mini marshmallows and chai tea in the evenings. I enjoy winter soups and stews and chili. I look forward to winter baking for Christmas and parties and friends and family. I look forward to our little family tradition of how we put the tree up and the whole activity of putting up decorations. I love breaking out the Christmas music--it's fair game from November 1st until mid-January for me. I look forward to chilly mornings when we have nowhere to go and our son comes and crawls in bed with us and we all lay there talking and laughing and just being together. I look forward to snow days and my husband and son get to stay home with me for a wonderful lazy day together.

Community Leader
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 11:39am

~hugs~

I know what you mean...;(...

Making new memories though has helped me...:smileyhappy:...

My dd and my ds are what makes it "Bearable" for me.

We have moved my ds and me so definitely new ones will be made here.

:smileyhappy:

Nightangel