Your Holiday Spending

Administrator
Your Holiday Spending
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 11:54am

Do you have a budget for holiday spending? Have you saved all year in a Christmas Savings account? How do you keep from overdoing it and going into serious debt during the holidays?

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

Community Leader
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 1:29pm
cmkarla wrote:

Do you have a budget for holiday spending? Have you saved all year in a Christmas Savings account? How do you keep from overdoing it and going into serious debt during the holidays?

Not really a budget... we try not to go over but if we do so be it. This year will be tighter and I'm stressing a bit. We've now got two kids old enough to get actual gifts (as opposed to the baby getting baby gifts last year). I don't want one to get more than the other. 

With that said, we do have a budget for extended family and friends that we do not go over. 

We buy all year for the following year so we're not crunching at the last minute. I've got a few things for the baby and my nieces.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 9:07pm
No specific budget item ... We try to keep monthly expenditures constant from month to month and we try to buy things as we see them throughout the year...

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 2:52pm
I don't really celebrate the winter holidays so there wasn't a desire to set aside a savings account or consider a budget. I may keep my eyes peeled for any can't miss sales on things that I or loved ones need (not want!) and use any extra funds I have for something like that.
Follow me to Coping with Job Loss

Follow me to Birth Control

--------
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 9:12pm

Just a small budget because I only buy for for DH and DD.I stopped buying for extended family years ago.