My PD 11th Anniversary... Oct 1, 2001

iVillage Member
My PD 11th Anniversary... Oct 1, 2001
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 2:12pm

11 years ago today I received my life sentence with 3 little words: YOU HAVE PARKINSON”S. It wasn't a surprise; after all, I'd been dealing with a mysterious tremor for nearly 2 years prior to the diagnosis. Finally, I had a response. An answer. An explanation.

"Are you cold?" No, it's just Parkinson's.

"Are you scared?" No, it's just Parkinson's.

"Are you nervous?" No, it's just Parkinson's.

"Is she having withdrawal symptoms?" No, it's just Parkinson's.

"Too much caffeine?" Perhaps, but mostly it's just Parkinson's.

"Is she on drugs?" Yes and lots of them. Lots and lots of Parkinson's Medication. Wait til I tell you the stories about the side effects, but for now I'll just stick with the anniversary of my diagnosis.

In some ways, hearing those 3 little words was a relief. There are far more sinister things than Parkinson's Disease that could cause the symptoms I was experiencing. It wasn't a death sentence, I was assured that people die with rather than from Parkinson's (a fact I still question each time I come across an obituary that says someone died from Parkinson's Disease, those silly reporters need to check their facts). I much prefer living with Parkinson's. Today I can look back over a decade and proclaim that I've been LIVING with Parkinson's and living well. In fact, I feel blessed, as my Parkinson's appears to be progressing very slowly and responds well to medication. Nearly 13 years since my first symptom and 11 years since my diagnosis, I'm doing far better than I ever imagined. I can't complain. Well, I can complain about a lot of things, but not so much about the Parkinson's.

Michael J. Fox, Muhammed Ali, The Pope and a bunch of elderly people… those were the faces of Parkinson's Disease when I was diagnosed. After October 1, 2001, I became the face of Parkinson's Disease in my house. Parkinson's wasn't just a neurological disease, it was the reason Mommy goes a little slower, drops a few more things than usual and sometime appears to be keeping a cool jazz rhythm with her body even though no one else is hearing the music. Parkinson's wasn't just something we'd see during a visit to a nursing home. Parkinson's was there every day in our kitchen, the bedroom, the car... Parkinson's went wherever I would go. I just couldn't shake it. Eleven years later, I still can't shake it but, thanks to the medications, the shake is hardly visible. I don't think most people could even tell, just by looking at me, that I'm living with Parkinson's.

Happy 11 year Anniversary to me. Without Parkinson's, I may have never met some of my dear friends who are also living with this disease. They continue to inspire me daily, especially my iVillage Parkinson's Pals.. This decade has also been made far happier thanks to the love and support from all my friends and family. A special thanks to my beautiful children who were only 12, 11, 8 and 6 months old when I was diagnosed. 11 years later finds them 23, 22, 19 and 11, plus their 6 year old little brother. Those 5 crazy kids, especially that 6 year old, shake up my life far more than any old neurological disease!

I still see my neurologist every 3 months for follow ups. Each time I go I hope I'll hear 3 more words: You are Cured. I hope, for all of us living with Parkinson's Disease, that we'll hear those 3 words soon.

I've missed you guys in recent weeks. I know I keep saying "I'm back" and then I disappear, again. This divorce continues to be a full time job. Things have been very difficult physically and emotionally, but it's a good difficult. I spent 11 years in a very difficult marriage and this pain I am experience now is cathartic, theraputic and so worth it!! Still, it's kept me away from the board. It's all for good. I am growing and healing during my time away and busier than you can ever imagine. Things are truly settling in to a new normal, slowly but surely, so I honestly do think I can visit here more often now.

Thank you all for sharing this past decade of Parkinson's with me. Love you, all!

My Personal Reflections on Living with Parkinson's: http://cl-lsb210-ivil.tripod.com/index.html

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 4:57pm

Lauren Sue, Eleven years of this and you're doing great! Keep the positive's going in your life and good luck with the (Hopefully, ) 'Soon To Be'  "EX"...

As I read your nearly daily DANtic's on FB I can easily understand how busy you are! BTW: The jacket looks good on you! Not sure about the tail though!  :smileysurprised:  :smileyhappy:

Hope all is progressing as well as can be expected!

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 12:18am
Ruben,
thank you so much for your kind comment regarding my most recent FB profile. Transition to freedom is a good way to express my current situation, although Ialready feel very free considering it's been over 6 months since we lived together. That's a tremendous amount of stress lifted off my shaky shoulders and, perhaps, that is what you see reflected in my most recent picture. You have been a huge inspiration to me! And I must confess, I think of you everytime I'm out on the Chesapeake bay. It's those tranquil moments I wish the California coast and Maryland Coast weren't worlds apart.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 12:22am

Yes, Dan's daily DANtics are far more challenging than living with Parkinson's. He is the birth control poster child, but I love him dearly.

And it's not, and never has been, "hopefully soon to be ex". It was always inevitable and, considering our 6+ months apart and recent revelations, it's a blessing! It can't come soon enough.

I've been hoping that his absence would cure my Parkinson's... no such luck. He's gone. Parkinson's is still rearing its ugly head. Oh well!

Thanks for being an inspiration to me!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 8:04am
I love ypur new tail you have grown! Is that a side effect? :smileyvery-happy: I honestly dont know how you do it. I thought i was sooo busy, but this hole i have of losing my dad has been the deepest hurt by far. I thought this moving in with my mom would help in caring for her and myself, but it has become a huge hurdle. I honestly dont know what i would do without jenna. And coming to this board everyday has been a god send!