I lost my precious Moe this morning

iVillage Member
I lost my precious Moe this morning
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 4:51pm
I am heartbroken.

Community Leader
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 8:33am
Gaye - I just saw this on the front page. I am SO very sorry........
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 6:21pm

Gaye, I am so very sorry about Moe. I remember tales of him all the way back on our Small Companion Dogs board. I have also experienced the ruptured salivary gland but was fortunate for it to happen on a young dog as a singular incident...I cannot imagine the difficulty you had in your decision but know that you made the best one you could for Moe's sake. Please remember all of the love and companionship you gave each other and how blessed he was to have that when so many other dogs don't. Please wrap your arms around the other dogs and take comfort in them. You are in my thoughts.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 8:55pm

I am so sorry for your loss.  I have also had to let beloved ones move on.  You will be in my thoughts.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 6:46pm
I am so very sorry Gaye but it sounds like you made the most loving choice you could and were there holding Moe to the end.
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 9:14am

Gaye, I am so sorry, I understand your pain. Been there many times over the years. Many Huga and prayers.!!

LIsa

soopermum62

With Brandi, 6 yo Brittany, Taz 13 yo Persian, W.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 8:30am
I never come to this board anymore but something told me to check in this morning. I am so sorry. Moe was an amazing dog and you gave him such a wonderful life. My thoughts are with you. I know how awful it this is...hugs, Robin
Community Leader
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 10:37am

Oh {{{Gaye}}}...I'm crying for you.  I've had more than once precious furchild die in my arms....but, to me, that's the only place they should be.  Moe was so loved for so many years....you were his angel and he was yours.....

Laura
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 10:02pm

Moe would have turned 12 this month.  I adopted him from the rescue 11 years ago.  He was found by the rescue chained to a pole in a back yard with one eye injured to the point it could not be saved.  Nevertheless, he was stunningly handsome, sweet and loving and trusting.  My late husband and I fell instantly in love with Moe.

During his lifetime with me, Moe had two eye surgeries to save the one eye he had, and his eyesight had deteriorated to shadows.  He became horribly arthritic, and by last Winter even the Rimadyl wasn't helping.  I looked at him last winter and thought he would not make it through another one.  He is also quite deaf.  Through all of that, he was loving and patient with all his treatment, took pills easily, and never complained.

In August, Moe's cheek swelled up overnight.  It looked like he had half a golf ball in there.  Our vet was out of town, so I took Moe to another vet who performed surgery under LOCAL anesthesia to insert two drain tubes in what we thought was an abscess.  Two weeks or so passed, Moe healed, and I thought we were done with it.  And then the lump reappeared.  Again on a day our regular vet was gone.  Yet another vet examined Moe, x-rayed the cheek, thought she saw something in there, charged me an exhorbitant bill AND scheduled Moe for surgery the next morning.  I was able to speak to Moe's regular vet that evening, and he took over Moe's care.  I cancelled the surgery appointment at the other vet.  Our vet diagnosed a clogged salivary gland, withdrew what fluid he could with a syringe, and prescribed antibiotics, but when cultured the fluid didn't grow anything.  Once again, the lump disappeared, and Moe was reasonably happy.

Sunday I got home from church to find Moe swollen again.  I cried all afternoon.  Called my vet this morning.  The cure would have been a lengthy, delicate, expensive surgery to remove Moe's salivary gland.  There is no price tag on the love Moe has given me, and I would have done it in a heartbeat if we could look forward to a couple more years of quality life.  But anesthesia is risky for a pug, and the older the riskier, and the surgery and recovery would weaken Moe.  It's October and will be getting colder soon, and Moe would once again limp and stumble.

So, all things considered, I made the heartbreaking decision to let the best dog I have ever owned go.  He died in my arms. 

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 6:43pm

Oh, no.  What happened?