Hormonal Imbalance or False Negative HPT

iVillage Member
Hormonal Imbalance or False Negative HPT
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 5:34pm
I have been taking BC for a long time and I basically had a misunderstanding of how they really work. I thought if you have been taking BC for years then its in your system and it takes time for it to get out of your system. Well I missed the 1st entire week of active pills and had unprotected sex twice that week (keep in mind I thought that I would still be safe because I had been taking them for 2 years straight after I had my daughter) and when I got my new pack of BC pills I resumed taking the pills (1st active week) that following Sunday on September 16th. I never got my period for the month of September. I never paid attention to when I got my period while taking a certain color pill and I read that you get your period during the "Sugar Pills" (last week of pills). I took 2 pregnancy tests (First Response) between 4 days ago, One yesterday morning and one September 27th, they were negative. I was expecting my period on or around the 23rd of September because I got it August 23rd. Personally I'm thinking its just an hormonal imbalance. What do you think? Thanks

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 2:43pm
Welcome to the board victoria. Many women find themselves in your situation and the best thing for you to do is call your doctor and explain what happened. Their response is really going to depend on the type of birth control you're taking. With one type it might be ok to skip a few days and then just resume, but with another type it may not be ok. It could be just a hormonal imbalance or it may not be. It may also be too early for a pregnancy test to give you accurate results. If your goal is to prevent pregnancy you need to be certain that you're doing everything you can be doing and correctly and your doctor will be the best source of info on that. Hopefully everything will be fine, but do keep us posted on how you're doing.
Follow me to Coping with Job Loss

Follow me to Birth Control

--------