Homemade garlic and onion powder!

Community Leader
Homemade garlic and onion powder!
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 9:16pm

Did you know you can make your own garlic and onion powders?  This makes me feel good!

Slice your garlic (2 cloves) thinly and likewise a medium onion.  You can use a food dehydrator, or you oven set at 135F with the door propped open (wooden spoon does the job).  Lay out the onion/garlic in one layer on a sheet pan with parchment paper or a rack.  Let the garlic and/or onion cook totally dry.  Your house is gonna stink.  In my opinion this is GOOD stink. 

Use a spice grinder or dedicated coffee grinder to grind the dehydrated flakes.  You won't get a lot, but it will be powerful stuff.  One onion reduced to 3 tbsp powder.  But so sweet, from what I read!  

I'm going to try this.  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 12:28am

I don;t have extra of those things at the momet.  I have not gotten my dehydrator out for such a long time.  Maybe i should start playing around with it again.  Hmmmm.

Photobucket

Community Leader
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 10:54am

A dehydrator is one of the few things I DON'T have.  As much as I like dried fruits and beef jerky, I should probably get one.  On the other hand, it would probably make me overeat!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 12:32pm

I too need to try this, I hate it when I run out of onion. I have a small dehydrator in my laundry room that's just been collecting lint.  My sister gave it to me when I had a ton of blueberries,  when they were dried they were really good in muffins.  I know have a bunch of called fruit and have been thinking of trying to dry some if it as a fruit leather.  I think the little ones I watch would really like it.

PattyK

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/yttap/siggys/
Community Leader
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 9:59pm

Smileycons!

Nah, you would be too busy drying everything you could get your hands on. LOL.

Photobucket