It's only been 3 weeks

iVillage Member
It's only been 3 weeks
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 10:02pm

I need opinions.  After your parents die, what is an acceptable period of time to wait before conducting a yard sale on their front lawn? My aunt did this less than 3 weeks after her mother died and my uncle excused it as "we can't wait forever, a yard sale needs to be done in nice weather."

It should also be noted that the deceased parents always believed that doing a yard sale of someones belongings after they die is disgraceful to the dead.

I think it never should have been done but at the very least it is way too soon to have done it.  Just wanted to see if I was being overly emotional/sentimental etc. or if this really is low.

Thanks

Community Leader
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 5:26pm

Loved your reply Promise!

Nightangel
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 1:05pm

Hey,

this is a difficult one as it is so dependant on peoples personal views regarding pssessions. Personally I would not ever get rid of a loved ones possessions in a yard sale. I hung on to Luke's things for over a year, kept some things and the rest I gave to the church so that they would benefit people who are in need. Other people may have other views but I would not want to gain monitary advantage from the loss of someone. This is my own view.

I have editted this post to add that the other side of the coin is that bereavemnet is a very unique experience. We all suffer pain but how we deal with it depends on our own needs. Sometimes people can not bear to have their loved ones things in the home as it is too painful, others have to hang on to them. We are all so different. I suppose I am trying to say there is no right or wrong way, just the way that person needs to follow.

Love

Promise

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 4:51am

HI, I am a little confused if it was your parent that passed or your aunt?

I don't know there is a hard and fast rule but I do know back in 1993 when my Dad died after a year battle with cancer, my Mom had his clothes donated and out of the closet really fast but I never said anything as I figured it was her husband of almost 50 years so that is how she needed to grieve.

When my Mom died in May 2010,  us 3 daughters had her house emptied and ready to sell by July as we wanted it done.   We sent the big items to an auction house and got like zip for it all.  So at least with a yard sale you could be more selective how low you sell things.

Everyone grieves differently and in my humble opinion, the person closest to the deceased makes the decision of when a sale would be.

Depending on where you live now is the time to do a yard sale, I live in Ohio, and to miss the fall time it would be late Spring before it could be done.

I have friends that their Mom died and Dad is off dating really fast, so again, sometimes we have to just accept that our living relatives grieve and sell or donate things or even date in a different time frame than we might have choosen.

Josie