Singles and depression

Community Leader
Singles and depression
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 10:46pm

Do you ever wonder if there are groups that are more depressed than others?  I mean not just a little down, but on some sort of antidepressant to help them through it.  I have quite a few teacher colleagues who I know are on antidepressants.  My sister went on one after her wedding was cancelled and the jerk did all the crap he did to her. 

It seems, from what I've read here over the past 12 years that single women are probably among the more depressed.  I'm sure there are plenty of married women who are as well, and I'm sure there are plenty of single women who are incredibly happy.  But it seems to me that in general, we're depressed.  Or maybe it's just women who are depressed!  I don't know.

I decided yesterday to start taking something to see if it improves my mood.  I was pretty happy this summer, but since school has started up again, I just haven't been happy.  To be honest, nothing seems to make me happy and I'm not motivated to do much.  I didn't want to take anything prescription because of the side effects I've read of, so I decided to try a supplement (SAM-e) after doing a lot of research.  I took it this morning and I felt like crap all day long.  I don't think one day is supposed to affect me, though, so I think it was something else going on.  Hopefully I'll see a difference within a week like the package says. 

I'm just kind of curious of anyone else is taking anything or tried the supplement I am taking.  I can't really talk about it with my real-life friends because I can't really trust any of them to keep it to themselves. 

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 11:10pm

I sometimes wonder if it's seasonal depression.  A lot of us are the happiest when Spring/Summer are here.  Then come Fall into Winter, a lot of us just aren't as chipper.  I go through my own bouts of depression during Fall and especially the Winter holidays.  And Fall is my favorite season!  Just wish I knew what triggers it.  I don't take anything for mine but when I'm in a funk, I try to go to the gym after work to get a good workout in to get the "blues" out of my system.  And usually it works.  A good friend of mine goes through seasonal depression.  He actually does take an Rx for it but it's a very low dose.  A lot of the times when he's in a funk, he'll go roller blading on the greenway or bike about 30 miles; no joke.  It's theraputic for him.  

Community Leader
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 11:34pm
Part of the reason why I decided to try taking something is because exercise does nothing for my mood. It makes me tired and that's about it. I really do think my brain just isn't producing enough seratonin or something.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 11:47pm

I don't think your relationship status accounts for most of the underlying problem. Relationship status may only correlate only very slightly or just add to depression. There are depressed single and married people as well as happy single and married people.

Boy have I seen my fair share of marital and relationship problems between relatives, friends and people close to me...If you think that marriage is the exclusive key to solving your problems, just wander over to the toxic relationship section of these boards, it should lighten you up that you are not in those situations.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 6:35am

IMO and experience,  over-the counter 'mood enhancers' or whatever they are called are absolutely useless, literally. They do nothing at all. Antidepressants on the other hand, work. Yes some  have side effects but those aren't all that horrible at all and you can choose the med that suits you best.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 9:55am

Sadly to report I suffer from depression and I agree with some of you.. There is no cure all .. I do take Vit.D and try and walk and do talk therapy with friends.and I try and get some sun.. There is alot of work that needs to be done to ward off depression.. There is n easy fix..

If you read the depression boards it goes way deeper than this..................................

Anyway; I do think I am depressed at times because I am alone and single.. Its just not much fun going out alone alot as I do and lately I just dont feel like venturing out alone.. It is getting colder and the sun goes in more and its darker earlier.. So combine these things and viola depression....

I think being without a partner sucks but then like someone said we could all be on the toxic board and that aint much fun either..

take care

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 11:06am
Where is the depression board? I have friend who is also and single and depressed.
Community Leader
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 11:58am
Lynn- it's in the health section. If you look at the header across the top, the last choice is "boards". If you hover and click on the health link, it'll list all of the boards in that section.

I honestly do think that it's helping, even after just three pills. I'm not severely depressed or anything. I'm not spending my nights crying. I just want to feel happy, have motivation, and actually want to get out and do things. I'm almost to the point of forcing myself to leave the house. I don't want it to get worse. The supplement I'm taking is supposed to help with a whole bunch of issues- most of which I have. I'm hoping it will continue to help and I'm not just have a rare day of clarity and I'll be back to feeling blah tomorrow.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 1:14pm
Thank you.

My friend is on pills prescribe by a psychologist (sp?). She sleeps a lot.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 1:29pm

One of my oldest friends is happily married with two elementary-aged kids. She initially went on them after giving birth to her second child, thinking it was postpartum. Her second just turned 5 and I'm pretty sure she's still on them.

I was prescribed Paxil several years ago but weened myself off of them after about a month due to blurred vision. I still have some anxiety but I've found that I can manage it pretty well without drugs.

There may come a time when I have to go back to some form of treatment because depression/anxiety runs in my family. I'm fine with that fact. It's a chemical imbalance. If you have any other sort of physical ailment, you treat it. Simply because this happens to occur in the brain should not make it anymore taboo then say, taking blood pressure meds.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 2:32pm

It makes me tired, too.  That's why I try & go after work lol.  I can't be these 5AM workout people.  There is NO way.  But I found if I go after work, I get all that stress out of my system and sleep better at night.

Pages