3 scout meetings in 1 night!

iVillage Member
3 scout meetings in 1 night!
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 10:56pm

So, I left home at 2:15 to get ready for my Girl Scout meeting which was from 3-4:30...  I had 3 new girls and 6 returning ones today (and a few who were still at the last cross country practice that's on a Monday)... door wouldn't lock at end and I didn't have the allen wrench so I had to find someone and didn't get out til nearly 5... stopped on way home to sign up youngest for swim lessons.  

After 10 minutes at home, I left again with my daughter for a Brownie troop's first meeting.  Good thing we were leading it... the husband and wife team of leaders only had the 2nd grade daughter and 12 month old son there with the dad... and 5 other girls showed up (3 who wanted to be brownies, but in 3rd grade) and 2 who were just friends tagging along.  The baby cried/fussed the entire time- dad tried to take care of paperwork and forms and pay attention to what we were doing.  The little girls had fun.  I gave the dad a pep talk on the way out and he seemed still excited about being leader even if his daughter would be the only 2nd grader.

So I took my daughter home so she could do homework and dinner (8pm) and gave my youngest a kiss and went to my son's boy scout meeting which was most of the way over.  Some good things discussed there too.  

3 Scout meetings in one night- 2 of which I was basically leading (even though my older girls are fairly independent)- is just too much for me!  It's good that tomorrow is a non-cub scout week for our Tuesday Cub Scouts!

Community Leader
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 11:04pm
Yikes!! THat is a lot of meetings!! My Girl Scout troop had Monday meetings as does ds and his dad, who is leader, has Boy Scout meetings on Mondays too.

Ramona  Mom to 2 great kids and wife to one wonderful hubby since 1990!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 11:10pm
Yes- but luckily the Brownie meeting should only be a 1 time thing... except for whenever some of my older girls might help with stuff the brownies are doing to help the older ones earn parts of badges.
Community Leader
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 9:30am
It's crazy when that happens.

I'm trying to get parents to take on a wolf den that needs a leader. I didn't get anywhere beyond having 2 of them agree to lead one meeting each. I don't get it. I actually had a mother ask why I wasn't leading the group. What do you say to someone who thinks a person who doesn't even have a 2nd grader should lead the group? I told her that I have enough scouting on my calendar without adding another 2 meetings a month. Between the 4 of us we have 14 scout days on our calendar this month. That's with J missing the troop camp-out & me skipping the District Camping Committee Meeting because I have another function I have to attend that night. Plus, with the Council program I am running this month I will have more time tied up with scouts than what is on the calendar.

Photobucket