Sigh :-(

iVillage Member
Sigh :-(
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 11:37pm
Our ten year old TV just stopped turning on about two months ago. You can't throw TVs away here, you have to recycle them and there is no pick up. So I paid my friend 10$ to move the TV and drive me to a used electronics store where they accept recycling. I bought a used TV for 25$, and it was a newer model, but it doesn't work. We get nothing but static no matter what we try. Unfortunately the store does not accept any returns, so now not only am I 35$ down with still no working TV, we have to get this one to the recycling facility too.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 12:09am

I hear you about the TV grief.

I thought I'd write back to you to say HANG IN THERE!!!!  ....My boyfiend and I were out walking tonight because I missed out on going to yoga because of a typo at work...I had to stay an extra hour unexpectedly to fix the typo....not an easy fix.......but ANYWAY, at the end of our walk we were singing "Age of Aquarius"...so maybe that will bring you some good luck!

I bought a new TV to watch the Olympics, and it is still in the box.....the old TV is 25 years old, and it is hard to watch because the colors are separating......I really do prefer the old TVs to the high def we have now.......

Best wishes, Littlesbigs

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 10:56am
The problem with using craigslist is that I am going back to school next week and won't have time for the next three months (I'm going to be out of town this week), and also that it's really difficult to coordinate with my friend who has a car.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 10:58am
It especially bugs me that I am paying for cable I can't use. I have asked H to at least take back the second cable box as we have not had a working second TV in almost a year, but he still hasn't done it.
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 10:39pm

That sucks!!

Better luck is headed your way soon :smileyhappy:

Dee

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 2:36am

I'm sorry about this very frustrating situation. This is the last thing you need. I hope you'll have better luck in the future with the TV.

By the way, you can watch a lot of programs on the computer -- between Hulu and pirate sites, you no longer have to have a TV to get some of the shows. So maybe that's something you can look into until the TV situation is rectified.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 10:43am
I've tried that but I've had lots of issues streaming stuff from the laptop and eventually gave up. I told my H to just find the most inexpensive new TV he could. We have $100 we got as a wedding gift that we've been hanging onto to get a new TV, but I just can't afford another $150 right now (the one he wants is 400).
Community Leader
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 11:47am
You could watch TV directly on your laptop, not stream to your TV.

Unless you have already tried that.

Problems with my bluray and we ended up watching our movie with the laptop propped up on the bed. Not ideal, but it worked.

Just an idea.

Oh, does the store offer credit towards another TV?

Serenity
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 1:51pm
Yeah, I have already tried streaming directly onto my laptop, and no matter which site I have used it will freeze and stop playing after a few minutes and I can't figure out why. It's just a netbook so it doesn't have a CD drive.

The store said they would let me exchange it if it didn't turn on, but it does turn on. It just doesn't do anything else. Everything else they had was much older anyway, and I'd have to coordinate with my friend to drive me there again and pay him to get another TV that might not work. I'm done with that.
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 1:55pm
I guess we could check the online specials for Black Friday. We both have to work that day.
Community Leader
In reply to: serenity1986
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 2:20pm
Everything is so disposable these days.

I am thinking it may be worth the wait to get a decent sized TV that you actually want. Unless you think you will use the cheap one your DH finds in another room later on when you can afford to replace it?

Or use the cheap tv as a computer monitor when you replace it with one you really want?

Do you have a freecycle where you live?

Serenity

Pages