Sigh :-(

iVillage Member
Sigh :-(
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 11:37pm
Our ten year old TV just stopped turning on about two months ago. You can't throw TVs away here, you have to recycle them and there is no pick up. So I paid my friend 10$ to move the TV and drive me to a used electronics store where they accept recycling. I bought a used TV for 25$, and it was a newer model, but it doesn't work. We get nothing but static no matter what we try. Unfortunately the store does not accept any returns, so now not only am I 35$ down with still no working TV, we have to get this one to the recycling facility too.

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 6:38am
Thanks! I'm pretty happy to finally be getting one again! :-)
iVillage Member
In reply to: ktqt07
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 6:08am

Yay!!

I'm so glad to see that things worked out for you to get a new tv! I hope you guys enjoy it!

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 4:41am
We found a 32" flat screen with good reviews for $279, and it came to $306 with tax. H is willing to put up the rest of the money to get it since he doesn't want a smaller one. I suppose with his vision as bad as it is a small TV is pretty much pointless. The shipping on it is free and it should get here Tuesday!

I did wind up using my credit card, but I will pay $180 as soon as I can get the cash from the wedding and my check deposited in the bank, and H will give me the other $126 next Friday when he gets paid, so we won't have to pay any interest on it.
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 11:32pm
Ok, I just got an $80 check in the mail for commissions on some art of mine that sold (I never know if/when these checks will come, so it's pretty much bonus money and not included in the budget). So H said he can contribute $80 also, and with the $100 we already have from the wedding we should be able to spend up to $260 and get something pretty decent from Amazon.

I also asked H to please PLEASE take back the second cable box, so hopefully he will do it this weekend.
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 6:20pm
No, it doesn't work with anything. Not the cable, the consoles, or the DVD player. It's basically a doorstop. If I knew next to anything about electronics I might try to fix it, but I don't. We have space in the closet to store it for now. I'm not in a hurry to take it back for recycling. I'll try to maybe combine going there with something else. There's a discount grocery store nearby at least, and it's nice to go there when I have a ride home. I can buy a lot more at once.
Community Leader
In reply to: serenity1986
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 5:23pm
A, I admire your determination not to charge a TV. I don't know if I could be so strong.

I can deal with babying something along that isn't working well, or settling for something old that works, (For a while I used one of those old boxy tube monitors. Hey, it was free and it worked!)

But no TV, not sure I could do it.

I think I would just break one day and have one delivered.

Don't be too hard on yourself if you do spend more than you had hoped. If the stress of not having one is making your uncomfortable, the few extra dollars may be worth it.

Throw a sheet over the used TV and put a plant on it. :smileyhappy: Or maybe turn it into an art project? Don't waste your money right now getting to the recycling center. I wonder if there is a service that might come pick it up?

Oh, hey...can you watch movies on the TV???

Serenity
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 3:20pm
We do have a freecycle. Lack of transportation just really cuts down our options. I usually have to plan ahead by at least a week to get my friend to drive me anywhere.

We used to have a TV in the bedroom too, and we could always move the smaller one into there. I won't have any extra money until I'm done with school and have a new job, so February at the very earliest.
Community Leader
In reply to: serenity1986
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 2:20pm
Everything is so disposable these days.

I am thinking it may be worth the wait to get a decent sized TV that you actually want. Unless you think you will use the cheap one your DH finds in another room later on when you can afford to replace it?

Or use the cheap tv as a computer monitor when you replace it with one you really want?

Do you have a freecycle where you live?

Serenity
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 1:55pm
I guess we could check the online specials for Black Friday. We both have to work that day.
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 1:51pm
Yeah, I have already tried streaming directly onto my laptop, and no matter which site I have used it will freeze and stop playing after a few minutes and I can't figure out why. It's just a netbook so it doesn't have a CD drive.

The store said they would let me exchange it if it didn't turn on, but it does turn on. It just doesn't do anything else. Everything else they had was much older anyway, and I'd have to coordinate with my friend to drive me there again and pay him to get another TV that might not work. I'm done with that.

Pages