Day trips or traveling to any Harvest or Renaissance Festivals??

iVillage Member
Day trips or traveling to any Harvest or Renaissance Festivals??
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 12:55am

We missed going to the one in Bonner Springs, KS, just outside of Kansas City. We didn't get to go last year either, but hope to get there next year. It's a fabulous renaissance festival and the Fine Arts Fair is going on the same weekend in Kansas City, MO. Yes, we must get back there again next year for sure!!

We're traveling to Branson, MO this Friday for a week. We'll be visiting the Harvest Festival at Silver Dollar City while there too. Beautiful time of year to go to Branson with kids back in school and cooler weather.

Anyone else?

Photobucket

iVillage Member

Haven't been to a rennaissance Festival since we lived in Houston, about 20 years ago! It was interesting, but not my thing... (Around Christmas, there was a Dickens fair as well --- all very Victorian and holiday themed but once was enough for me).

Here, the harvest festival, if you want to call it that, is the Apple Butter Festival in nearby Grand Rapids. It attracts SOOOOO many people we've avoided it since we've lived here. The traffic, the lack of parking and the crowds have put us off... 

iVillage Member
ca_dreamer wrote:

The one in Bonner Springs is still going on, I looked. Having missed the one in Larkspur for a broken foot (not mine) we're planning to take the fall break and go there. If the weather's good and we don't get sick of driving, we might make it to Chicago. (Got at least one good friend there, and DH wants to see the Baha'i temple again).

Yes, I know it's still going on, but we like to go at the same time that the Fine Arts Fair is going on at the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City. That was September 21 - 23 and we were not able to go at that time this year.

Have a great trip and hope you do make it to Chicago!!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
thatyank wrote:

Haven't been to a rennaissance Festival since we lived in Houston, about 20 years ago! It was interesting, but not my thing... (Around Christmas, there was a Dickens fair as well --- all very Victorian and holiday themed but once was enough for me).

Awww..sorry you didn't like the festival or fair. We all have our own things we like to do. My dh and I love festivals and fairs and such, so fun!

Here, the harvest festival, if you want to call it that, is the Apple Butter Festival in nearby Grand Rapids. It attracts SOOOOO many people we've avaoided it since we've lived here. The traffic, the lack of parking adn teh crowds have put us off... 

That sounds like another fun time! :smileyhappy:

Photobucket

iVillage Member
neverstopping wrote:
thatyank wrote:

Awww..sorry you didn't like the festival or fair. We all have our own things we like to do. My dh and I love festivals and fairs and such, so fun!

Here, the harvest festival, if you want to call it that, is the Apple Butter Festival in nearby Grand Rapids. It attracts SOOOOO many people we've avaoided it since we've lived here. The traffic, the lack of parking adn teh crowds have put us off... 

That sounds like another fun time! :smileyhappy:

I guess it's more that I prefer my craft fairs to be craft fairs, not in costume! The interest in the costume part wore off quickly (especially at the rennaissance fair, when, if memory serves, it was cold and muddy and not at all pleasant weather as well - the Dicken's fair was indoors, VERY dark which I guess was for atmosphere, but at least we didn't have to deal with weather)  and the crafts on sale weren't really our "thing" at either fair... 

Maybe it's just me and costumes. Not a fan of Halloween dress-up either...

iVillage Member
thatyank wrote:

I guess it's more that I prefer my craft fairs to be craft fairs, not in costume! The interest in the costume part wore off quickly (especially at the rennaissance fair, when, if memory serves, it was cold and muddy adn not at all pleasant weather as well - the Dicken's fair was indoors, VERY dark which I guess was for atmosphere, but at least we didn't have to deal with weather)  and the crafts on sale weren't really our "thing" at either fair... 

Maybe it's just me and costumes. Not a fan of Halloween dress-up either...

Oh, okay, that makes sense if you're into crafts. I lost interest in crafts, the country cutsie kind anyway, years ago, so I don't look at too much of that. I do like the handmade jewelry though and a few other things. I *love* the costumes!! I always wish I was wearing one of those beautiful gowns! If I actually was wearing one, though, I'm sure I'd be wishing I had my jeans on..lol!!

I also *love* Halloween costumes!! My dh and I dress up for Trunk or Treat at our church and have such a good time with it. Do not like scary costumes and we do get some neighborhood kids who dress like that, but only a few. Last year we had 500 kids plus adults with them come through our Trunk or Treat! It's a fun event that we look forward to. Of course I get to see my grandkids at it, too, and they are always dressed the cutest..lol!

Photobucket

iVillage Member

The only fairs going on here right now are the October Fest.... which dh and I did manage to go to on the day when there's a parade of tradional costumes and it was lovely.  Some of the costumes are 100 yrs old... or so.

The other thing   that's going on now is:   bringing the cows down from the mountains (Alps of course) for the winter.  The major towns all thru bavaria , Austria and Switzerland lead the cows to grazing high up in the moutains, (with shepards who stay with them until fall).  It takes about a week to get them all up there walking slowly upwards.   Well in October , after the cows have grazed all summer , the shepards bring them on down (again a week or so) .  When the get closer to town the are decorated and marched into town, the townsfolk cheering them on.   It's really nice to see.  I wanted to go to the one at Konigsee ( King's Lake) but it was yesterday and we had to accomplish something else that was more important.  Anyway... that's all that's going on here.   I can 't  do much of anything anyway this year so next year I look forward to it.

iVillage Member

Suzan...Those both sound like wonderful traditional events!!

Lucky you getting to see them!!

Photobucket