Supportive partner whilst sleep training?

iVillage Member
Supportive partner whilst sleep training?
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 4:31am
Hi all, I was wondering how supportive everyone's partners are or have been during sleep training your babies? My son is 32 weeks old and a terrible sleeper at night, since putting him in his own room his sleep seems to have got worse. I'm lucky to get 5 hours broken sleep a night and its really starting to make me ill. Last night was my first night using the controlled crying method, he went down fine then woke at 3.15am crying, I followed the method to the book. We live in a 3 storey town house and my partner sleeps in the spare room on the ground floor, as he has to get up for work. Where as myself and baby sleep on the top floor in our own rooms. After 1hour and 45 mins of controlled crying my partner decided to come up and go in to pick baby as he couldn't take it anymore. He didn't as i went in and told him not to. This led to an argument on the landing, luckily baby wasn't disturbed to much and was asleep within 10 more mins and slept through till 6.45! I gave my partner ear plugs and asked him to not shout and get angry. Yet he's gone off to work still not talking to me this morning. I feel at my wits end, sleep deprivation is really getting the better of me now, I thought this would be the solution but my partner is really unsupportive because it disturbed his sleep for 1 night!! What should I do? Has anyone else had this problem? Xx
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 11:44am
It is so very hard to listen to, isn't it? I'm glad to hear that you had an improved night. Hopefully you are on the upswing with it all!
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 5:42pm
Thanks for the reply, 1 hour 45 seemed like a lifetime even though I was going and checking him every 15 minutes and repeating my sleep mantra to him. Tonight has been a great improvement up to now and I'm feeling more positive so fingers crossed x
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 12:50pm
Oh boy... it sure can be difficult when both partners aren't on the same page. Perhaps you can have a calm discussion about what amount of time he is comfortable with allowing baby to cry? 1 hr and 45 minutes seems like quite a long while. Maybe you could try a shorter period of time? Hang in there!