How do you save?

iVillage Member
How do you save?
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 9:42am
On the reading thread, several mentioned stopping subscriptions/saving got mentioned. I was wondering, How much have you changed your lifestyle choices with your college student no longer in your day to day budget considerations? Have their been changes in your entertainment choices? Do you eat out less? Have you cut your cable/netflix choices? What about utilities Turned up the thermostats? What is your setting? What about fuel costs? With college bills, Do you still save? Can we share tips or ways you have found to save? Do you belong to co-op or Sam's Club, use coupons?
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 1:07pm

I'm a tightwad from way back. I've always saved. I sometimes use coupons but with just the 2 of us, no Sam's. Utilities - 70/66 winter, 77/80 summer. Entertainment - no, actually we probably do more than we used to (at least since ds was in HS as he no longer wanted to do that much with us). The tv is on less (mostly ds did gaming). Fuel is no different than it used to be. We do pay less for food, but I also then give ds a food budget so I guess it's a wash. I still save toward retirement. (the only reason we have cable/dish is because of Formula 1; everything else was secondary, and that's for dh (I'm a fan too) so no change there)

Sue

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 1:38pm

With DS at college, DH buys almost no soda and a lot less Mini Wheats.  Other than that, I don't think there's much difference.  We still have two kids at home.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 8:54pm
Hi Kelly, Awww you made me remember the cereal...My heart aches every time I open the cabinet and there is all that space saved for when were snap crackle pop rice kris pies were here. My dh does the shopping too. He now purchases our soda in the the little 7 oz cans. With the other kids have they benefitted from traveling to schools with your oldest? Will you be able to save on college selection that way?
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 6:45pm

The water bill went down after DD left for college.  Well- I think so anyways. 

We do less laundry.  The last bill was annoying b/c we had a houseful of people here for graduation (billing every 2 months).

I think I'm saving on food.  But I don't know.  We still have 1 at home.  But a couple of times she's had something going on during the weekend, so dh and I have gone out to eat more than we did with kids at home.  But then I guess that's cheaper too since we're only paying for 2 not 4 meals.

A few months ago I decided that we needed to use our Navy retirement benefits, so I've been trying to do most of our shopping at the local Commissary.  There's no sales tax- but we do have a surcharge that goes to MWR, it's about as much (I guess) as the food/non food tax. Many things are cheaper there.  Now if they would just hurry up and finish the new one that was supposed to open in August..............

Cell bill is the same.  Kind of wish that dd could kick in the $50/month for her phone.  SIGH.

I've been looking into bundling our cable/internet and dropping the landline.  Can't just drop the landline b/c our internet goes through the landline. 

Gas for the 3rd car the kids use has gone down.  Kind of.  But DD2 is learning how to drive on that one, and will probably be running it around town next year when she gets her licence.

Cheryl

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 6:57pm
Cheryl, I'd be so lost without the commisary (dh is retired Navy also) I do all my big shopping there, and hit Winco for smaller trips.
Whenever I have to go to Luckys or Safeway, I gulp at the prices!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 8:08pm

DD graduated from college in May 2011, then lived at home until Jan 2012 and now moved into her own place.  I still have 1 teenager at home.  I suppose there might be a decrease in the elec. & water bill not having her at home, having less laundry & showers.  It's not like she ate a ton of food.  It is nice that I don't have to worry about any bills for her any more now that she's working full time--she was talking about getting her own replacement contacts & stuff like that.

I was still looking for ways to save money cause my health ins. is so expensive.  I do have the cable/internet/land line bundled but I thought I'd save some money by getting rid of the land line since it's only DS & me & no one except my mom really calls on the land line any more--so they said I'd only save $20/month but if they redid some kind of new calbe package to get me MORE channels (not that I have time to watch more TV) and kept the land line, then I'd save $25/month--does that make sense?  I did shop around for car ins. because of having to add DS on--you can imagine the cost of adding a boy new driver plus another car and even though he has to pay for his own insurance, there is only so much money he can really afford because he's only getting 4-8 hrs of work during the school year now.  By changing companies and raising the deductable to $1000 from $500 I actually saved over $1500.  I do cut out coupons and then never remember to bring them to the store, but I'm good with buying things like Groupon to go out to dinner.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 9:33am

Our utility bills are less with DSs out of the house, for sure.  When they are home for visits we often have to adjust the thermostat to keep them happy.  I recently joined Costco, just to try it for a year because there are certain items (cashews, Comte cheese & Brita filters come to mind) that I know are good buys there.

My parents who grew up in the depression era trained me well to scrimp and save, and my environmental consciousness has added to their influence.  I clip coupons (don't often actually USE them, though), buy mostly sale items and use my bike for short trips to the grocery store. Years ago, when I noticed we were using a roll of paper towel in less than a week, I began hiding it; now a roll lasts months.  We are down to one car, a Prius, possible only cuz DH takes the Metro to work.  Even when I'm working at the yoga studio I try to reduce waste:  The paper towel I use to dry my hands is later used to clean the window or to wipe up spots on the floor, and I pour waste from one basket into another so 1/4-full bags are not trashed.  I purchase a couple of groupons each month for eating out or for yoga classes.  Because I'm retired, all those savings I consider to be my income--that's what I tell DH when he laughs at me for going overboard.  The extra time definitely makes it easier to be a thrifty consumer. I'm always thinking: "A dollar saved is one more we can donate to charity."

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2009/october/meet_the_new_health_.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQTBYQlQ7yM

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 10:01am
DH chides me too - "Oh, we can't go there, no coupons!" (I'm a groupon and other local type thing like that fanatic!)
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 10:14am
elle-fl wrote:
 With the other kids have they benefitted from traveling to schools with your oldest? Will you be able to save on college selection that way?

A little bit.  Of the 15 schools DS applied to, and the 9 that DD is applying to, only two are the same.  DS was interested in creative writing and languages, and DD is interested in music and film.

However, DS applied as a transfer student to one of DD's choices, so DD accompanied him on his visit there.  It was her second time visiting the campus, and they spent time with a mutual friend who goes there.  DD left that visit feeling that school was her #1, so that was helpful.  (DS didn't get in as a transfer - they had 1800 applications for 150 spots! - it would have been fun to have had them at the same university.)