Any school trips this year?

Community Leader
Any school trips this year?
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 9:44am

J's school sends the 7th graders who register to DC and Gettysburg for a long weekend in the spring.  My kid doesn't want to go.  No clue why.  He just says he would rather stay at school when the other kids are gone and then be home for the weekend.  He confuses me. 

The trip is around $400.00. 

Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 10:41am
Me too! I forgot to add the the music programs have done Disney, Hawaii, Europe and more. This year they are doing New York, but ds said he does not want to go.

Ramona  Mom to 2 great kids and wife to one wonderful hubby since 1990!

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 8:46am
This one sounds like fun- I want to go!
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 1:23pm
Oh, I forgot that the drama club has done a 3-plays in 3-days trip to New York every other year. That should be this year if they do it.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 1:22pm
Neither of my kids have done any school overnight trips. Our grade school used to do a DC trip every year, but I don't think they spent the night. Just a whirl-wind fly out very early, fly back really late thing. After 9-11 that stopped. The 8th grade does a day long retreat for Confirmation on a Saturday and they take a trip to a regional amusement park in the spring for a day.

I heard the other day that the 6th grade was going on an overnight to a camp. I know the camp and they have a lot of team-building stuff and cabins. Not real "camping".

My DD's HS has a group that does a mission trip to Appalachia every spring break. They also have had groups go to Kenya every other year and a Europe trip every other year in the summer. They also start doing overnight Retreat when they are Sophomores.
Community Leader
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 8:16pm

Our 8th graders just did a day trip as well. They did a lunch cruise and spent time on Navy Pier in Chicago, of course it was during the NATO summit, so there was a lot of places they could not go to and they got to witness some of the military things along the lake that was put on for the heads of state.  Depending on the class, there may or not field trips in high school.  None that I know of yet, but dd went to Six Flags (physics), downtown Chicago (art, photography and German), water treatment plant (AP environmental science), a river, a bird sanctuary and forest preserve (all with AP es).

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 7:48pm

Our local public school takes the 4th graders (in 2 shifts) to an outdoor center for 2 nights.  The first group goes Monday and the 2nd group goes up Wednesday and the busses then bring back the 1st group.  The 2nd group comes home before dinner Friday.

Besides a regular field trip for each grade at our Catholic school, only the 8th grade takes a longer trip since they are graduating from the school.  One year they went to New York to see a broadway play and do a tour.  The diocese has since declared that this was too far away.  So basically the last few years they have only gone to Cedar Point... no overnight... just real early/late on the bus.

Community Leader
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 2:32pm
Our schools don't do this. They have 5th grade trip, but only a few go, and it is costly. When I was in 5th grade we had a week of camp for outdoor education, and the grammar school my kids went to did it until the year before dd's year. Too bad, camp was fun. Everyone went when I was a kid. We were still laughing about it at our 20 year HS reunion! My kids started going away to camp at age 6, so going away with out us never bothered us.