Words You Don't Want Them to Say?

iVillage Member
Words You Don't Want Them to Say?
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 10:48am

Interesting article...

Carinn Jade is furiously editing her son's speech.

He just started preschool this month, and she is learning that in addition to the artwork, and the cold germs, that a brand-new student brings home, there are words. Words she doesn't want him saying.

We all have our list of those words. Not the banned-by-the-FCC ones -- I figure all parents agree that those should probably not be part of a 3-year-old's vocabulary. But words that are loaded, words that are hurtful, words that feel personal.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-belkin/banning-the-word-penis_b_1919114.html

On the list discussed in the article are the words girlfriend, penis, and winning.  I'm scratching my head on those wondering why you wouldn't want them used... but okay!  Anyway, it got me thinking.  Are there any words your 2/3 yo may use (or have used in the past)  that you really can't stand?  

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 10:49am
For me, it is the word 'stupid'. Landon will use it from time to time and whenever it comes out of his mouth I cringe! I've been trying to teach him different things to say, but he'll still use it from time to time.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 2:16pm

Hello,

My daughter also uses the word 'stupid' from time to time. I don't like when she uses the word but it seems like almost every kids' move has that word in it...

>Mee

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 11:50am

We don't allow our kids to use the "R" word (retarded) or let them tell each other or us to "Shut Up". 

Lisa 

iVillage Member
Oh, yes. I can't believe I didn't think of that one! Probably because my boys know that the "R" word is so forbidden, it isn't even funny. :smileywink: I have heard my middle guy say it a few times and boy did we have a talk about it. My oldest is on the autism spectrum and has other special needs so it is something I'm very passionate about- no "R" word allowed EVER! :smileyhappy: