Smoking Scenes on Rise in Top-Grossing Youth-Rated Movies

Administrator
Smoking Scenes on Rise in Top-Grossing Youth-Rated Movies
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 11:44am

According to this new Health Day News article, teens are seeing more smoking in movies. "Depictions of smoking in top-grossing, youth-rated movies increased in 2011, reversing a five-year decline, a new report shows.

The finding comes just a few months after the U.S. Surgeon General's office warned that seeing smoking in movies causes young people to start smoking.

The report found that four of the six major Hollywood studios featured more smoking in their youth-rated (G, PG and PG-13) movies in 2011. ..The sharpest increase in the number of tobacco depictions per youth-rated movie were in films from the three major studies with published policies addressing onscreen smoking: Disney, Universal and Warner Brothers." MORE 

Your thoughts?

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member

I don't see where characters smoking is necessary to convey the story in most movies, especially in those geared toward the youth.

Community Leader
Hollywood did take a stand and stopped showing smoking for a long time. Now, I would like to know how many of the films are being financed or partially financed by cigarette companies. Maybe there should be on a disclosure list....but the government is not going to step into the movie business....they already have their hands full with other issues they have stepped into that they should not have. When we have to have government tell us what we should and should not do and make it law, there is no freedom. So, I really cant go along with that. Warnings to parents before the teens go into the movie maybe? Disclaimers on ads? Better parenting? I dont have an answer but I do know that I am not willing to keep giving my personal freedom away. Although I believe in stopping smoking, I am not in agreement with heavier handed government....what would be next? OK....I am off the soapbox here...lol. Maybe the consumers should address this with the production companies and those that make a living off the films.
Alcohol, Addictions & Recovery. It's a long way down, but only 12 steps UP