What to wear?

iVillage Member
What to wear?
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 11:57am

Of all the things for me to focus on!  I'm freaking out about what to wear to the hospital or for delivery or even after delivery.  I could wear a hospital gown.  I'm just wondering if I'd be more comfortable walking around in something else with a little more coverage.  And if I do decide to wear the hospital gown, what do I put on afterwards and when?  I mean, I see all these pics of women in actual clothes after they give birth.  When do you change? 

They have these disposable dress thingys that I like.  They're made for just delivery and then you can toss it if you want.  It's got holes in all the appropiate places around the waist and belly for monitoring and such.  The top comes down for breastfeeding.  I can't remember what it's called, but it was around $20.  I could see feeling more comfortable in something like that.  But I don't like to spend $20 on a shirt that I'll for 5 years, much less something that I'll never wear again.  lol 

I don't have any negative attachments toward a hospital gown.  I mean, I don't see them and associate them with being sick or some negative event.  It's just the whole walking around thing with it being thin and open. I don't know...I'm being silly.  But what are you guys wearing for the delivery?

Pregnancy%20ticker

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 12:16pm

For labor, I'll most likely wear a hospital gown. If I want to walk around I'll put a second one on backwards so my butt's not hanging out! I'd much rather get their gowns gunked up than buy something that will only get worn once. Maybe have a sports bra on for delivery. Not sure when I'll change into my own clothes...I guess I'll have to play that by ear. I'm planning on wearing black yoga pants home with a comfy top. Better to hide any postpartum "accidents".

Julie - eagerly awaiting DH's homecoming & the arrival of our first DS, due 11/29/12

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 12:30pm
I will be wearing a hospital gown or two and a nursing bra. Keep in mind for your bra situation that you might not be able to get out of it for a few hours and that first nursing session could be sort of odd without it.
I'll probably stay in the hospital gowns until I can shower. I bought a cheap pair of pj's (like $12-15) and a long sleeved knit gown for the hospital. They constantly want to check you out while you're there and you don't want to have to deal with pants until day 2 or so.
Whatever you take, make sure it has openings for nursing if you're breastfeeding. I'll wear yoga pants home.

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 1:07pm

All 3 of my delivieries, I have been given a hospital gown and then a robe. I plan on that again so I don't ruin anything of mine! I don't want anything on my own stuff while I am there so I usually chill in that stuff until I go home. I have seen some really cute ones you can buy though!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 1:47pm
mandmleona wrote:

Fluids happen, even after birth.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Yes, they do!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 2:22pm

I am planning on wearing a nursing bra and the mandatory hospital gown for my delivery so I don't have both boobs hanging out in the recovery room while trying to feed. After I am allowed to shower I will just wear a nursing tank top with old undies or the mesh ones they give you. I am sure at some point I will put on yoga pants since I will be there for 4 days. If you get cold you can always bring a cardigan. I say the easier it is to nurse in the better.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 2:50pm

Im having a c-section, so I wont have much choice until after the surgery. Im bringing a robe from home to put on when guest are coming by right after surgery. Once they allow me to get up to shower, Im bringing a nightgown that I got on sale for $8 to put on, its easy to pull down for breast feeding, and I can still wear my robe with it. Im also bringing my nighttime feeding bra I got off of Amazon.

Not to much help, but that is what I will be doing.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 6:54pm
I will wear the hospital gown and house coat (a glorified backwards gown) that they will give me when I go in. Birth is a messy process and I don't want to wreck my own clothes. Much the same afterwards. With my last they made me keep a catheter in over 12 hrs (I begged the shift change nurse to remove it and she did) so hospital gowns were easier until the next day when I went home. With my first I was on such an adrenaline rush that I got up first thing next day (she was born just after midnight) and had a shower and put on my own clothes - I didn't have any iv's or anything to worry about. The staff kept commenting on how I didn't look like a woman who just gave birth :smileyhappy:. This time I hope to be discharged within a few hours of birth (once we are cleared as healthy) and I have brought a pair of brown maternity cords and a beige long sleeved mat shirt for the drive home - I think it may be the same outfit I wore home with my other two.
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 8:52pm
Last time, I think I was in a hospital gown until the day after I gave birth. I was very weak and didn't want to get up and shower or change too soon afterward. Plus, I was just beat! They don't let you sleep very much. There are always doctors, nurses, photographers, cleaning staff, food service or someone coming by.
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 5:22am
I packed only black and dark colors. For the delivery, I bought a knee-length, black plus size night gown with 3/4 sleeves for under $10 at a discounter. I rolled up the sleeves when I got hot, but I had planned to tie them up with ribbon. In case I didn't have time to shave, I bought thigh high black socks - probably
my fav trick. I wore them with the gown and no name Ugs afterward, and they looked like pants but didn't rub and docs could check me all they wanted. ;-) I wanted to wear a bra but I knew I might want an epidural, so I slipped off the straps before going into labor - I could hear the anaesthesiologist's sigh of relief that he didn't have to cut me out. Lol.

And like everyone says - black yoga pants are the best for post partum. Instead of a robe, I got one of those long, open jersey cardigans made of jersey (like the yoga pants) in a plus size. It hides tummies great! ;-) I just wore that with the same gown as delivery, so it looked like clothes.

Going home, I wore PG jeans and a black PG top - the generic Ugs were so cozy... Slippers and boots in one. Also, I don't think black underwear can be ruined, so go for it. ;-)

- JM

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 5:23am
PS - I also had leg warmers for when I wanted pants but my feet got hot.

- JM

Pages