Baby Blues or Something More?

iVillage Member
Baby Blues or Something More?
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 12:09pm

Hi all,

I gave birth on 9/23/12 and I've been so very blue in the days since.  I just cry at everything and don't feel well at all.  I'm fairly sure that my DH thinks I've lost my mind because the smallest things set me off.  Add to it the constant anxiety I'm feeling, worrying about baby non-stop, and I'm just... exhausted.  How do you know if you are dealing with a case of baby blues or if it is something more? 

Hope, Mommy to Spencer Expecting Baby #2 09/17/12
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 12:34pm
First off, big (((HUGS))) to you, Hope. The weeks after bay arrives can be so difficult. Your hormones are out of balance and most likely are are sleep deprived. It can be tough! I remember crying at the drop of a hat for the first few weeks. You could be experiencing a case of the baby blues or it could be something more. Did you experience PPD after you had your oldest child? I'd suggest calling your doctor's office and let them know what's going on. Your medical provider should be able to give you some reference and point you in the right direction should treatment be necessary. In the meantime, please keep us posted on how you are doing and know that we are here for you. HUGS!

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-23-2012 - 6:14pm

At this point is still could just be the blues.  I'm mother of a 5yr, 3yr, and 1yr old.  I would get those exact symptoms even 4 weeks after baby.  But I did experience post partum depression (mild) after all 3 of my kids.  But I usually let a lot of time pass before talking with my doctor so I could assure it was more PPD than just the blues.  I also nursed all 3 and that does contribute to hormones being way out of wack! When my 3rd baby was 3 months old I was still feeling anxious and just not right.  I did talk with my doctor at that point and got on a low dose antidepressant I could take while nursing and things went great after that.  I've been through this 3 times.  I would recommend keeping a journal for at least 2-3weeks of your exact feelings daily overall rating your day.  By the end of the 2-3 weeks maybe look at it overall.  If mostly you're having bad, not good feeling days.  Maybe it's time to talk to a doctor.  And it's OK to feel this way! Hang in there.