Take a Stitch Tuesday - Week 40

iVillage Member
Take a Stitch Tuesday - Week 40
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 12:14pm

Week 40 - Beaded Hedebo Edge stitch:  http://pintangle.com/2012/10/02/take-a-stitch-tuesday-week-40-2/ Tutorial on this page... and there is also a tutorial here (live her use of Tiger Tape): http://kerrykatiecakes2.blogspot.com/2009/08/hedebo-edging-with-beads-tutorial.html .

CL for "

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 11:09am

CL for "

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 11:31am

The stitch is the Beaded Hebedo Edge and while it started out logically, I ended up melting down last night when trying to actually do the Hebedo part of the stitch. Not a hardanger person here and I simply couldn't picture what I was doing. MANY thanks to Sharon B who answered my very loud call for help and guided me, with three generous emails and a link, to what I THINK may be a completion. Couldn't get a picture close enough to show the detail but...

Week 40 - Beaded Hedebo Edge stitch.jpg

Once a single line was completed, I bailed. The thread I was using (two strands of GAST "Aged Pewter") simply didn't like this stitch either (possibly part of my problem --- it kept curling, knotting, separating, blocking my view, etc. especially after picking it out, over and over and over --- believe me, you do NOT want to have to pick this stitch out if it goes wrong on you!) and after my struggles, I considered myself lucky to get this far! Didn't even try to come up with a design possibility for it. I blame my meltdown but, in fact, in the best of times, my vision of how these stitches can be used is limited...

I think I can do it now, but odds are, I will only use it for straight line seam treatments, if at all.

Oh, one thing I did do was use Tiger Tape (I have no commerical connection to the brand or the stores that sell it) to plan out the stitching. (Of course, it took me hours to locate my one roll of the stuff! Finally uloaded my quilting cabinet, shelf by shelf --- found all sorts of interesting things I didn't know I had... anyone need a needle threader? I found six or seven of the things! LOL) For things that need to go in a straight line, and have perfect spacing, especially on regular (not even-weave) fabircs, this is a great tool, especially since Tiger Tape is marked like a tape measure and lets you actually space stitches! Originally intended for usi in quilting, it has lots of other uses... And it doesn't leave a sticky residue behind (it can be reused a few times although, in my meltdown, I tossed the two pieces I was using...)

CL for "