30 years ago...

iVillage Member
30 years ago...
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 1:28pm
http://m.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/30-years-ago-cd-started-digital-music-revolution-6167906 Yesterday was the 30th anniversary of the CD. Their popularity has faded with the digital age they helped unleash. Compact discs had been pressed before 1982 but the first CD to officially go on sale was Billy Joel's 52nd Street. It took a few years before I got my first CD player.  It was a Christmas gift from my parents in 1985, and I still have it.  I also have my first CD Friends by Dionne Warwick somewhere. I also have a phonograph and a collection of vinyl albums, a collection of cassettes (I got my first cassette player in 1968), and I even have an 8-track player; it’s built into the radio in my kitchen.  Oh, and my vehicle has a hook-up for an MP3, so I’m ready for anything. What was the first record/recording that you remember buying?:smileyhappy: My album was "Meet the Beatles" at Mitchell's Family Store  in 1964.  It was in mono. I took 2 silver dollars my uncle had given me to start a coin collection.:smileyhappy:   My first record was a 45 by The Shirelles: "mama said" :smileyhappy: When my oldest went to college he told me he was taking my 45 collection. I was like ok...then I visited and he had stapled them to the ceiling! mama said there would be days like this! :smileywink: My first cassette was Hurdy Gurdy Man by Donovan.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 2:01pm
Sorry to be downbeat, but for me today is the 10th anniversary of the DC sniper. I was living in the DC suburbs at the time and it is one of those days I will never forget. I was out and about with my daughter who was 3 yo when my husband called from work to tell me "please stay inside today there is someone out there shooting people". From that moment on the next month or so was very scary and surreal. No outdoor activities for kids - no soccer, football, playground time at lunch. On grocery store shopping trips we were encouraged to bob and weave so we weren't easy targets. All of the craziness caused by a pair of nut cases with a gun. I can't imagine, nor do I ever want to know, what it is like to live in an actual war zone. robin
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 8:24pm
Hi Robin, No need to Be sorry. Some of our life experiences do have harrowingly lastly effects. You know your husband must have been so worried to be at work and not with you. Fall of 2002 was a year after my oldest went from high school drop out working at circuit city to being put on the all academic team by usatoday. I remember flake by Jim Johnson was my favorite song when I remember our trip to Tallahassee.
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 12:29am
We were dirt poor growing up, and so it took several years of saving my babysitting money to buy a little, portable record player, and then my first 45, which was Garry & the Pacemakers' "Ferry Cross the Mersey"
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 8:35am
I am so sorry. I just couldn't help but go back to that morning. I don't know why I posted that here. I apologize. robin
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 9:41am

We weren't living in DC back then, but my sister was.  I think that is when her DH became a gun owner, and started shooting at the range with is buddies in the military. Even though they now live in a gated community 30 miles west of DC, he still sleeps with a loaded handgun behind the nightstand.

As I read the article about the rampage in the Washington Post last week, I realized how freaky it must have been living here at the time.  And like you, Robin, I cannot imagine what it would be like living in a place like Syria now.

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2009/october/meet_the_new_health_.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQTBYQlQ7yM

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 11:43am
Elle, wow, that is inspiring about your son. I never knew that. It's a good reminder for all of us, that even if our kids hit a rough patch, their potential is still there!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 11:48am
I followed the DC sniper nightmare with horror from California. We lived in Manassas Park from 1997-2000 and I worked in a school there. I would hear about places on the news that I knew, and get updates from former coworkers, friends and neighbors. I was so scared for my friends and my former community. I can't imagine the fear that went through everyone at that time.
Photobucket