October Roll Call!!

iVillage Member
October Roll Call!!
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 1:40pm

I can't believe we are in October already ladies! Not much longer and we will all be praying for labor to start or for our c-section dates to be here. I'm really looking forward to hearing all the birth stories and seeing pictures of the LOs!! I'm also hoping to see some newbies or lurkers come out and join us in conversation. :smileyhappy:

What are some items you plan on buying for baby or what are some items you know you can't live without?

Have you experienced Braxton Hick's contractions yet?

Have you felt any baby hiccups yet?

BTDT moms, what is one thing you wish you would have known about during pregnancy, labor or being a FTM? Do you have any tips to share for the FTMs?

C-section moms, can you offer any advice on how to mentally prepare for a c-section (before and after) just in case it becomes necessary for any of the other moms?

First time moms, is there anything you would like to know about the end of pregnancy, labor, or after the baby arrives that the BTDT moms could offer experience or advice on?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 1:59pm

What are some items you plan on buying for baby or what are some items you know you can't live without? We still have most of our big-ticket stuff, so the sprinkle registries are full of things like bottles, diapers, bibs, wipes, etc. All the practical stuff. I thought I had the nursery figured out, but now I'm not so sure. I do know that we'll need a crib & a rocking chair, and we'll foot the bill for those. We had switched Toby to a big-boy bed, but he rebelled and wanted his toddler bed (i.e. the converted crib) back, and he still likes to be rocked during story time in his room (so I can't take away the rocking chair). 

Have you experienced Braxton Hick's contractions yet? Not that I've noticed. I have been VERY uncomfortable for a few days, though. The little one is growing faster than I'm expanding.

Have you felt any baby hiccups yet? Nope. I'm still not feeling much movement, though I'm 20 weeks tomorrow. I chalk it up to the anterior placenta. 

BTDT moms, what is one thing you wish you would have known about during pregnancy, labor or being a FTM? Do you have any tips to share for the FTMs? I honestly felt really prepared going into it. As much as I can be a control freak, I had pretty much no birth plan beyond, "Epidural is fine, and we'll do whatever it takes." That ended up being pretty darn handy when Toby decided to arrive 6 weeks early, by c-section, the day before my baby shower, on a Friday the 13th. None of it really phased me. As for parenthood, I think the best piece of advice I ever got was, "Bad moms don't worry about being bad moms." I agonized over every little decision at first because I was so afraid of not being good enough. Finally, someone sat me down and gave me that little nugget of advice, and it was like a switch flipped. So, always realize that while your house might be strewn, the kid might have skipped a bath one too many days in a row, you just realized you forgot to feed the little tyke lunch and it's 3pm, you're too tired to fight your toddler on the whole "potato chips for lunch" thing, another mom is making you feel inferior because you use formula & disposable diapers & jarred baby food, etc, etc, etc... it's okay. The most important thing is that your kid is happy & healthy and enjoying time with you. You're still a good mom. You're just human...just like the rest of us.

C-section moms, can you offer any advice on how to mentally prepare for a c-section (before and after) just in case it becomes necessary for any of the other moms? Don't think of it as a failure! Too many moms get this idea in their head that they are failures if they don't push the baby out of their vaginas with absolutely no assistance or medication at all, and it's simply not true. You prove your mettle as a mother AFTER the baby is born. So, don't sweat it. Get the baby into the world as healthy as possible in whatever way you have to. And remember, while a c-section is major surgery, it's also routine surgery. They know what they're doing. Trust them to do it, and listen to them when it comes to your recovery. No one will give you a medal for skipping your pain medication.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 2:00pm

What are some items you plan on buying for baby or what are some items you know you can't live without? Right now I'm stocking up on cloth diapers and things like that. Still waiting to find out gender (sob!) so once we find out, I'll start stocking up on more things.

Have you experienced Braxton Hick's contractions yet? I don't think so... Every once in a while I feel something and wonder if it's BH. 

Have you felt any baby hiccups yet?  Not yet!

BTDT moms, what is one thing you wish you would have known about during pregnancy, labor or being a FTM? Do you have any tips to share for the FTMs?

C-section moms, can you offer any advice on how to mentally prepare for a c-section (before and after) just in case it becomes necessary for any of the other moms?

First time moms, is there anything you would like to know about the end of pregnancy, labor, or after the baby arrives that the BTDT moms could offer experience or advice on? Well, I just recently read a hilarious post on the blog Pregnant Chicken that goes into very graphic detail about life after birth, so I feel like I know too much right now. Haha.. The writer can be pretty.. um.. colorful with her speech so I don't recommend reading it if bad language offends you, but in case you want a good laugh, here's the link. http://www.pregnantchicken.com/pregnant-chicken-blog/2010/9/23/happily-after-giving-birth-10-things-they-dont-tell-you.html

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 2:20pm

I can't believe we are in October already ladies! Not much longer and we will all be praying for labor to start or for our c-section dates to be here. I'm really looking forward to hearing all the birth stories and seeing pictures of the LOs!! I'm also hoping to see some newbies or lurkers come out and join us in conversation. :smileyhappy:

What are some items you plan on buying for baby or what are some items you know you can't live without? I HAVE to have a bouncey seat. I've had one with each of my kids and it always came in handy when I was cooking, or when I was home alone with the baby and needed a shower I could put the baby in the seat and put it in the bathroom, or when I needed a quick 30 min nap I could put him in the bouncey and put it right next to me on the floor. As far as anything else goes, there isn't much I can't live without. We did have one of those co-sleeper thingys you put in your bed for baby to sleep in and it is so handy when you're trying to feed in the middle of the night and the baby in a few inches away. So, if you're a co-sleeper I recommend one!!

Have you experienced Braxton Hick's contractions yet? A few here and there. My belly gets tight for 20-30 seconds and that's it. I really only notice it if I'm sitting still.

Have you felt any baby hiccups yet? A few times I thought I may have but it turned out not to be. So, I'm still waiting!

BTDT moms, what is one thing you wish you would have known about during pregnancy, labor or being a FTM? Do you have any tips to share for the FTMs? I don't think there is anything that I wish I would have known really except I wish I wouldn't have listened (and believed) every other mom's horrible birth experience story. All I ever heard was, it's painful, the worst pain of your life, tearing, bleeding, you poop on yourself, your "princess" is on display to an entire room of people etc. Yeah, birth hurts, you may look the worst you've ever looked, and you may get some stitches, but so what. We know why we're having the pain and none of that crap matters once you're holding your baby. Everything heals, you get cleaned up, people forget, and you get back to looking like the beauty queen you were before pregnancy. :smileyhappy:

C-section moms, can you offer any advice on how to mentally prepare for a c-section (before and after) just in case it becomes necessary for any of the other moms? I have to agree with Mel on the pain medicine thing. I didn't take any with my first. With my second, I decided to try it and felt like kicking myself in the butt for not doing it the first time, after I realized how much easier it was the first few days after the surgery. I would also say that even though most FTMs count on a vaginal birth, I would still mentally prepare for a c-section just in case. In my case, I was not prepared for my first one and cried like a school girl when the doctor told me I had to have one. I begged and pleaded that I didnt need it. If I would have educated myself on it, I definitely would have reacted differently. I was more concerned about being a "failure" than doing what was safest at that moment.

First time moms, is there anything you would like to know about the end of pregnancy, labor, or after the baby arrives that the BTDT moms could offer experience or advice on?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 2:29pm
Amber.. I am in tears. That is SO funny!!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 4:59pm

What are some items you plan on buying for baby or what are some items you know you can't live without?  Blankets for swaddling or the swaddle me's. We had those for our DS and they were a lifesaver. He loved being swaddled. I also agree with the bouncer. My DS hated the swing but could live in the bouncer. That is definitely the only way I got a shower a lot of days.

Have you experienced Braxton Hick's contractions yet?  Yes, lots of them. They get really bad when I'm stressed so I try to keep calm and just relax. 

Have you felt any baby hiccups yet?  No hiccups but lots of moving. She's as active as her big brother was in there.

BTDT moms, what is one thing you wish you would have known about during pregnancy, labor or being a FTM? Do you have any tips to share for the FTMs?   Pack your bags early and have the car seat base installed. I went to the hospital to have a non stress test and ended up being admitted to be induced. My friend had to bring the bags to me. Since they were already packed all she had to do was bring them up. Being induced is stressful enough, you're bound to forget something if you are trying to tell someone over the phone what they need to pack to bring to you. 

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 7:27pm

What are some items you plan on buying for baby or what are some items you know you can't live without? I haven't bought anything yet and I'm dying to have a day off to go shopping!  I've been looking at travel systems and am debating if it's worth it to have the travel system where the carseat hooks into the stroller or if that is a waste of money...any advice BTDT moms?

Have you experienced Braxton Hick's contractions yet? Don't think so.

Have you felt any baby hiccups yet? I'm pretty sure not yet.

First time moms, is there anything you would like to know about the end of pregnancy, labor, or after the baby arrives that the BTDT moms could offer experience or advice on? I am curious about BTDT moms who were induced.  I think after watching A Baby story and other crazy shows on TLC that I am teriffied that if I'm induced it will be a much rougher labor than if I go into labor on my own.  I'm wondering if any BTDT moms had any opinions on this.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 7:40pm
Dina- I LOVED my travel systems. I had a Graco one with DS#1 and the carseat hooked into the stroller. With DS#2, I had a double stroller travel system and the carseat hooked in the back seat and my older DS could sit in the front seat. It made life SO much easier. Plus, it gives you use of the stroller before the LO is able to sit up by themselves and it beats lugging around the heavy carseat all the time!

I was induced both times. I managed to get to 4cm both times before I needed the epidural but that's not saying much considering when I went in with #2 I was already 3cm LOL. I remember the contractions hurting a lot worse with my first labor and I contribute that to the pitocin being turned up so high (it wasn't on very high with my second since I was going for a VBAC). I don't really know how much worse it is than natural labor but I've heard it's a lot more painful. However, if you plan on having an epidural everything will be fine since you won't feel it anyway. If you're planning on a natural birth I'm sure you could manage with whatever technique you try. :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 10:06am

What are some items you plan on buying for baby or what are some items you know you can't live without?  Swaddle blankets, they were the only thing that calmed my son down & made him sleep - an absolute livesaver!  We need to buy a bedroom set since our son is still using his, and other than pink, frilly, girly clothes for her, I think we have all the basics.

Have you experienced Braxton Hick's contractions yet?  Not yet.

Have you felt any baby hiccups yet?  No ... but I can't wait for those!

BTDT moms, what is one thing you wish you would have known about during pregnancy, labor or being a FTM? Do you have any tips to share for the FTMs?  I'm with the poster that said she wished she hadn't listened to all the horror stories shared by friends & family members about labor, those had me scared to death!  The reality is that even though I had to be induced, it wasn't that bad (BTW ... I did get an epidural, but it wore off on one side so I wasn't totally numb).  And the after-effects aren't as bad as people claim either.  Don't get me wrong, it's not pleasant & the GIANT pads you have to wear feel like diapers, but I was relatively comfortable & pain-free.  Oh, and I wish I had known that being scheduled for an induction doesn't necessarily mean that it will take!  I went in to be induced & ended up being sent home 18 hours later with another induction scheduled for 10 days down the road - longest 10 days of my LIFE!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 10:23am

I was going through some of the baby stuff this morning, and came up with a few more "can't live without" things. (I really can't believe I didn't think of them.)

1. "The Happiest Baby on the Block." I read this book before Toby was born, and while I applied a "take what you need and left the rest" approach, we couldn't have lived without the four S's. Swaddle, Shhh, Sway, and Side. People thought Toby NEVER cried because we could calm him about 20 seconds flat by swaddling him, swaying with him while he was on his side in our arms, and shhh'ing kind of loudly. I have no idea if the author's theories on colic and whatnot are accurate, but I know that we never had a problem keeping Toby happy.

2. The TinyDiner travel placemat. Obviously, you don't need this until the baby starts eating solids, but once we reached that stage, this became a "can't live without" product. Everywhere we went, people asked me what it was and where I got it. FYI, it's a roll-up placemat that suctions to the table, and I got mine at Buy Buy Baby, but you can also get them at BRU and Amazon.

3. SippiGrip sippy cup tethers. Ever been in the car while your kid screams for the sippy cup he dropped on the side of his car seat that you can't reach? Every spent 3/4 of your grocery shopping trip bending over to retrieve a "dropped" sippy and then cleaning the spout? If so, you know why I have about a dozen of these.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 1:31pm

I had a travel system as well and LOVED it. I guess it kind of depends on what kind of mom you are. I take my DS everywhere with me so it got tons of use. I had a Safety First and just checked the infant carrier to make sure it was still good to use for this LO. I'm going to recover it so it's not blue anymore but I'm already excited to use it again.

As far as being induced, I was induced with my DS and am going to do everything in my power to avoid it this time. It does make your contractions much stronger and many women, myself included, get the shakes from the pitocen. My BFF was induced with her first but went naturally with her 2nd and she said the difference between the two labors was night and day. I'm one of those people with a horrible birth story so I'm hoping if I go naturally this time I'll have a much better labor and delivery. 

Photobucket

Pages