October Roll Call!!

iVillage Member
October Roll Call!!
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 1:40pm

I can't believe we are in October already ladies! Not much longer and we will all be praying for labor to start or for our c-section dates to be here. I'm really looking forward to hearing all the birth stories and seeing pictures of the LOs!! I'm also hoping to see some newbies or lurkers come out and join us in conversation. :smileyhappy:

What are some items you plan on buying for baby or what are some items you know you can't live without?

Have you experienced Braxton Hick's contractions yet?

Have you felt any baby hiccups yet?

BTDT moms, what is one thing you wish you would have known about during pregnancy, labor or being a FTM? Do you have any tips to share for the FTMs?

C-section moms, can you offer any advice on how to mentally prepare for a c-section (before and after) just in case it becomes necessary for any of the other moms?

First time moms, is there anything you would like to know about the end of pregnancy, labor, or after the baby arrives that the BTDT moms could offer experience or advice on?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 3:39pm

I just wanted to add in add to the other comments on bf..ask for help, usually if you cant get your baby to bf, hospitals usually have a trained nurse or lactation consultant that can help.  I know my dd had trouble and I had a great nurse that was all hands helping (a little weird expecially w/ your 1st but a huge help in the end)  A little help right away with latch and different techniques can make a huge difference (I bf my dd football syle her under my arm for 2 months before she would latch the regular way)

Also, I recomend breast pads for when milk comes in and I bring my own sanitary napkins for after birth...I can not stand the hospital ones :smileyhappy:  and w/ #2 I brought underware I didn't care if it got wrecked them mesh things they give here hold nothing in place LOL.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 11:18am
Many people mentioned the swaddle wrap things, and I agree: those were a life saver! We lived by Happiest Baby on the Block for the first few months of my toddler's life (just watched the video tho).
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 11:16am
Thanks Mandi!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 9:10pm
A boppy is a good choice. I'm definitely getting a new one. I didn't take it to the hospital with me for my DS but I definitely am this time. Also sticking to your guns about bfing is important as well. I ended up in the OR and my DS stayed up in the room with my mom and she went all crazy grandma on them and told them he was NOT having formula, that he would survive until I came back and was able to nurse him. He was about 3 hours old before I got to hold him and feed him and you know what, he didn't starve to death. He was fine. It's exhausting being born and he slept most of the time anyways.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 8:04pm
Welcome back lorilu2009!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 7:08pm
What are some items you plan on buying for baby or what are some items you know you can't live without? I keep thinking about buying a new Boppy. How one I used with my first was completely worn out after the first year of her life. As far a the other things so, I haven't even thought about them! We are moving in a week, and I know that we will buy my toddler a new bed set and use her crib for baby. We find out gender on Thursday, so that will probably help with nursery decoration and all. I guess we need bottles too. I bought a bunch before my first was born, though, and she ended up hating them so w had to buy a whole set from another brand (she liked Nuk, I think, hated Dr. Browns). I'm not working after this one is born, so there will be less need for bottles anyway. I also remember buying a ton of cap I didn't need with the first one and can't see making that mistake again. Other than clothes, spit up rags, diapers, a place to sleep (he/she will be in a bassinet by our bed for a few mos), a swing, a bouncy chair, and the Boppy, what else is necessary? Oh, maybe pacis if you use them (we did). Have you experienced Braxton Hick's contractions yet? I have never felt them in my life. Have you felt any baby hiccups yet? We were able to see her having the hiccups BTDT moms, what is one thing you wish you would have known about during pregnancy, labor or being a FTM? Do you have any tips to share for the FTMs? Be as educated on the process as possible, but be flexible. Listen to professionals you trust. OH, one big one: don't let anyone scare you in the hospital into giving formula unless you want to. You will be tired, and you will be vulnerable. If you plan on breast feeding exclusively, giving formula to a newborn can affect your milk supply (bc you must be stimulated to make milk). Our nurse terrified me by stating dramatically that my baby was STARVING, and so I allowed it. I was still able to produce just fine after this, but both my sister and cousin had similar experiences and neither one produced sufficient milk.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 6:46pm
HI! I haven't posted on. This site for a while, but I did in the beginning. Been very busy with selling our house, packing, etc. Anyway, my theory is that induction does make it take longer than going into labor naturally. I had to be induced because my water broke and my body didn't kick into gear on its own (I was 39 weeks). It wasn't the most difficult labor I've ever heard of, but a full 90 minutes of pushing (of which I felt every inch of pain, even though I'd had an epidural). I really hope I go into natural labor with this one, but sometimes there's not much you can do and you have to just roll with it.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 9:45am

What are some items you plan on buying for baby or what are some items you know you can't live without?

Hmmm, I don't know honestly - the items I couldn't live without were different for DS and DD.  Neither kid really cared much for the bouncy seat but DS really liked the swing.  And DD slept in her swing for the first month or so (she wouldn't sleep in the cradle).  I am hoping to get a Moby wrap for this one - DD wasn't colicy in that she could be consoled when she cried but she did not want to be put down.  We need to buy a crib and highchair still, but I think we are going to wait until after the baby gets here for that.

Have you experienced Braxton Hick's contractions yet?  I've felt some tightening and some discomfort for sure.

Have you felt any baby hiccups yet?  No, and honestly, I don't think I felt those with my other two, at least I didn't recognize that was what they were when I felt movement.  I do feel lots of movement these days.  the u/s today might be interesting - the tech better be good at getting fast measurements!

BTDT moms, what is one thing you wish you would have known about during pregnancy, labor or being a FTM? Do you have any tips to share for the FTMs?  Although my birth plan went out the window completely, I still think it can be useful to do one because you have to educate yourself on stuff when writing one out.  So when things started not going nicely, at least I was able to kind of understand what was going on and intelligently converse with the nurses and doctors about it.  As for being a FTM... I don't know, you figure it out as you go?  I do recommend limiting your hospital visitors - while you are in there, the nurses are coming in every 4 hours to check your vitals, they are coming in whenever your next dose of pain medicine is ready (and of course these two things are not coordinted), your trying to feed your baby which is every 2-3 hours, not to mention your body is recovering so you are just tired from that, and YOU NEED YOUR SLEEP and you ain't gonna get it at night so you have to start napping during the day which is impossible if visitors are coming through all day long.  I was on an adrenaline rush after DD was born and invited everyone by and on the 3rd day, I actually started feeling dizzy and nauseaus and I just hit a wall.  DH didn't really understand because he was getting his 8 hours.... anyway, my advice.

C-section moms, can you offer any advice on how to mentally prepare for a c-section (before and after) just in case it becomes necessary for any of the other moms?

Hmmm, I never tried NOT to take pain medicine but I would second the keeping up on your meds, although with my last c/s, I had to stop the percoset after two days because I started feeling sick but by that point, I was just fine with the motrin.  You will be surprised at how fast they want you to get up and start moving - at least I was.  The first day you are somewhat immobile although they make you get up and sit in a chair close to your bed but after that, you have a lot of freedom of movement.  I totally second item #10 in that pregnant chicken article.  The drugs from the c/s practically shut down your digestive track, and it can be rough to get it moving again.  There were some frantic calls to the doctor a week or so after giving birth with baby #1, DS.  So if you have a c/s, and you haven't had a BM by the end of day 3, swallow your pride and ask for a suppository.  Highly embarrasing yes, but it beats screaming in pain a few days later. 

First time moms, is there anything you would like to know about the end of pregnancy, labor, or after the baby arrives that the BTDT moms could offer experience or advice on?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 12:10am
What are some items you plan on buying for baby or what are some items you know you can't live without?
We need a new bouncy seat. Bryan and Wyatt both used theirs so much when they were itty bitty.

Have you experienced Braxton Hick's contractions yet?
I have felt a couple when I am doing to much.

Have you felt any baby hiccups yet?
We were able to see her having the hiccups during the ultrasound but I have not felt them yet. Just a lot of kicks to my cervix!

BTDT moms, what is one thing you wish you would have known about during pregnancy, labor or being a FTM? Do you have any tips to share for the FTMs?
Make your plans but prepare for them all to go out the window. I was dead set on how everything should go. When it all fell through I was miserable. I am a lot more flexible now. All that matters is we both make it through safely.

C-section moms, can you offer any advice on how to mentally prepare for a c-section (before and after) just in case it becomes necessary for any of the other moms?
Do NOT fall behind on your pain meds. Take them even if you are not feeling any pain at the time. I was stubborn and didn't take all the meds I could with Bryan and I felt miserable. With Wyatt I took the meds they brought in even though I was feeling fine. I felt fine and kept feeling fine because I stayed on top of my pain meds. It made my whole recovery so much easier.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 1:31pm

I had a travel system as well and LOVED it. I guess it kind of depends on what kind of mom you are. I take my DS everywhere with me so it got tons of use. I had a Safety First and just checked the infant carrier to make sure it was still good to use for this LO. I'm going to recover it so it's not blue anymore but I'm already excited to use it again.

As far as being induced, I was induced with my DS and am going to do everything in my power to avoid it this time. It does make your contractions much stronger and many women, myself included, get the shakes from the pitocen. My BFF was induced with her first but went naturally with her 2nd and she said the difference between the two labors was night and day. I'm one of those people with a horrible birth story so I'm hoping if I go naturally this time I'll have a much better labor and delivery. 

Photobucket

Pages