Thanks to this group...just canceled a big purchase!

iVillage Member
Thanks to this group...just canceled a big purchase!
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 5:31pm

I've been lurking here a bit and only recently decided to get back in the game after sitting on the sidelines for a while :smileyhappy:. Today, I had a little victory and need to thank you all because it is THIS GROUP that makes me want to move forward and not look back. 

We ordered a riding mower that was to be delivered last week (after waiting 5 weeks) and then was postponed to today, only to be postponed to next week. At this point, my grass could use one more mowing, but that will be it for the season. I decided to cancel the purchase altogether and will borrow a mower this weekend. Then, I'll look around for a used mower that I can pay cash for.

This is $1800 that was on my CC bill even though I had nothing to show for it.

Coming here, reading posts, and getting advice really made me think about whether or not this purchase was necessary. Thank you all again!

Now to go and make dinner with what I have on hand. Go DSG!

Didi

Community Leader

Yea!  Wise move I would say.  Just like M's expensive ComiCon tickets, it is sure easier to say 'no' when the expense is up there.   It is the small stuff that is tough sometimes. 

Serenity
iVillage Member
Good for you! I did the same thing with clothes. I am losing weight (finally) and my favourite store had a 30% off pants sale I was onIline and had several in my cart. Well I finally realized that I don't need them right now (I will in the future if things keep going the way they are :smileyhappy: so I closed it down. Keep it up. One decision at a time!

Bex -

iVillage Member

Thanks, Bex! So true!

iVillage Member

Great post! So proud of you! Deal with it next spring, save some cash to purchase?

iVillage Member
GOOD FOR YOU! My dad just purchased a used mower from a deal that delivered it free. It had very free hours on it but was discounted because it was last years model. Shop around.. It's a good time of year to buy a mower.

Norma

"Patience is the best remedy for every trouble"- Plautus

iVillage Member

I have heard that willpower is like a muscle - the more you use it, the stronger it gets....

iVillage Member

Let's hope that that is true! I'll have to keep working my willpower muscles!

We're going to see if we can find a used mower soon, but one that we can afford to pay cash for. I think they'll be cheaper as we get closer to winter so I'd rather not wait until spring. As for the snow blower, well we did go for a long time without so maybe we just get two nice shovels? It's great exercise :smileyhappy:.

Thanks for all the support!

Didi

iVillage Member

Michele:

YEA us is right :smileyhappy:.

Didi

iVillage Member

Didi,

I also think this is a GREAT decision.  Ghanging your attitude is sosososo important.  And it does get easier the more you do it! 

Good job!

btw . . . i wonder if it's gonna be another warm/not much snow winter for us.  I hope not, 'cause this drought is killing us, but at least I won't have to shovel too much snow since I never replaced our snowblower when it broke either.