Exclusively pumping for my 8 month old and having trouble keeping up.

iVillage Member
Exclusively pumping for my 8 month old and having trouble keeping up.
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 8:07pm

I exclusively breast fed (from the breast) up until around 6 months, however with going back to work, my son preferred the bottle and then outrightly refused to nurse, forcing me to go towards exclusively pumping breast milk.  I was able to pump  around 25 oz per day (my largest pump in the morning).  Around 7 1/2 months my supply dropped immensly.  I am lucky if I get around 10 oz a day.  I am pumping the same amount about 3 to 4 times daily for about 40 mins.  As my son decided to wean himself, he bit me (ouch!) and tore skin.  Which meant that whenever I pumped, I seemed to open the spot again and I was having a hard time to heal.  Right before my son turned 8 months, I encountered the return of my period (FUN!) and mastitis for which I required antibiotics.  Currently, I am healed, (both from the bite and from the mastitis), but I am forced to supplement with formula.  My son is not a fan of the formula--he much prefers breastmilk and I really want to have that be the primary means of liquid nutrition for him. 

Does anyone have any good ideas for building the supply back up so late in the game.  I had a fabulous supply earlier but I can't seem to get it to go back up.  Should I start pumping every couple hours like I did when he was an infant?  I don't want to re-open any spots on my nipples (they get raw from pumping for so long--even with the lansinoh).  Any ideas would be so helpful!  Thank you in advance
iVillage Member
Maybe pump more often but for shorter time? Have you tried fenugreek or eating extra oatmeal
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Thank u...I am trying to pump more frquently since that is what evryone says will help build it up...I will try the oatmeal for sure!
iVillage Member

Eating oatmeal is my key-if Bessie, as I fondly call myself, does not get her oats, I don't get as much milk.I should also say, I am pumping for my 8 almost 9 month old, and i get about 28 ounces a day.

iVillage Member
I try to pump at least 8 times a day and now get about 30ozs a day. Stay hydrated. Make sure I'm always using a double electric pump. I don't like oatmeal so I eat things with oatmeal in it instead. I was told Greek yogurt would help?
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member

I don't eat oatmeal, but I eat the Quaker Oatmeal squares cereal..there are several different flavors. It is quite yummy. I also eat a lot of granola bars too  which seem to help.