Let the (online dating) games begin

iVillage Member
Let the (online dating) games begin
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 9:23pm

I'm a glutton for punishment.  I re-activated my okCupid account just to fish around.  And it's already beginning!  

One guy emailed me on there.  He seems cool so I go check out his profile.  He lives in Atlanta!  And I live in Nashville.  So I replied back to him telling him it's a shame he doesn't live here in Nashville.  His response, "well maybe you are the convincing i need to move there.... whats the most important thing i should know about you?"  Hmmm.  I have not responded back to him.  

And then I get the ones who are ten years younger than me.  While I'm flattered, I'm 34 and I really don't want to date a guy who's 24 or 25 years old.  Age thirty is my limit.  

Oy vey!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 9:31pm
what you described pretty much echos my experience.

sometimes I post the crazy ones for a bit of laughter.
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 10:58am

I don't know but it makes me wonder.  I have no interest in dating a guy in their early 20's.  They aren't interested in a serious relationship, they just want to play the field.  And tha'ts ok; to each their own.  But I've lived my 20's and am 34 now.  I'm just not interested in "jail bait."  

And good grief I had another one asking me for sex AND the same age as me.  He doesn't have a profile picture but after reading his profile, clearly all he wants is a sexual relationship & nothing serious.  He emailed me three different times, "come on, I'm cute!  You're HOT.  Let me send you a pic.  I'm in your area every day.  We need to hook up."  Really?  I just ignored him.  I have standards for crying out loud!  I have spoken to one guy on the dating site who seems nice & he looks ok.  But after a few days of testing online dating, I concur that my heart just isn't into the online dating scenario.  In a few more days I think I will be deactivating my account again.  

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 9:05pm

My advide is know him better before meeting in person:smileywink:

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 11:43am
I am 36 and I get lots of guys in early twenties too!

I don't know why either. Is it because they think we are easy?
Community Leader
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 8:19am

Ya know, I think back to when I was 25 and dating 25 year old guys, and they were all actually looking to settle down at that point.  I had a friend (he moved away) who is 26 and he's been looking to get married for quite some time now.  I don't know that they are just after sex at that age, but I don't think they are quite grown up enough to understand what marriage and a real relationship means.  That's why I try to stay away.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 2:29am
To a 25 year old guy dating = having lots of sex. Because really what else is there? They can't fathom there being more. So my guess is these youngins think you're foxy and hope you're looking for a guy with lots of stamina.
Follow me to Coping with Job Loss

Follow me to Birth Control

--------
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 10:43pm

At my age (55) I'd be thrilled if a guy 10 yrs younger showed interest--and I would date him.  But I can definitely see that a 25 yr old guy is probably still at the stage of just wanting to have fun, while a 35 yr old woman might be thinking marriage/children or at least a more serious relationship.

Community Leader
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 9:57pm

Seriously?? We are most definitely not old enough to be cougars!

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 9:51pm

I know, right?  He lives 200 miles away from me, hello!  Red flags sister!

I don't get the younger guys.  Yes, it's flattering that they show interest in us.  But I ask myself, why do you want to do date someone 10+ years older than you?  And the 25 year old who did email me, all he could say was, "meow."  Ugh.  SMH.

Community Leader
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 9:38pm
What is it with the young guys?? They like me, too.

The one who says he'll move...I'd be waving red flags with MARRIED written all over them. I just don't get why someone would search that far away unless they had something big to hide.