Spooky stories

iVillage Member
Spooky stories
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 10:48pm
Hallowee is coming, do you have any spooky stories? Short or long about ghosties, ghoulies and things that go bump in the night? How about sharing with us?      Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

follow.jpg

fashion.jpg

http://forums.ivillage.com/ivillage/?category.id=iv-sbwhatshould

weight.jpg

http://forums.ivillage.com/t5/Weight-Loss-Surgery/ct-p/iv-fbsurgery

writing.jpg

http://forums.ivillage.com/t5/The-Writing-Life/ct-p/iv-bcwritinglif

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 1:10pm

I love to read spooky stories, but I'm totally hopeless at writing them! LOL

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 10:04pm
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 10:45am
ladyinpublic wrote:

Me too, Southern, but I think I'll try to write one for the board. Wish me luck. lol    

Yay! Good luck, I can't wait to read it!

I've been having some wickedly bad nightmares lately... one re-occuring one in particular. The dream is too short and simple for my weak talents to translate into a story but if I could capture in writing, the actual feeling of terror I have in those short moments, I think it might go away. Maybe my muse is trying to nudge me... but all it's really doing giving me insomnia! LOL

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 7:53pm
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 12:06pm

Ok, here goes...

"Don't! Please, please don't!", my mind screams. I'm paralyzed; physically and vocally, but the terror races through my entire being. I know I'm dreaming, but that only increases my fear -- I have NO control and that's not something I relinquish willingly. But I know to the core of my being, if that apparition turns her head and cast her eyes on me, it's the end. The end of my family, my life, my world? -- I'm not sure exactly, I just know I can NOT let it happen.

All it takes is one action on my part; I know this instinctively. I just have to make a sound, any sound -- or move, even just a little, and the "spell" will be broken. Her action, the action that will set this horror in motion, is just as simple. She has only to reveal her face to me; I'm unable to even manage a blink to blot out the image she will project. Time slows to a crawl as I see the muscles in her neck tense as she begins to turn toward me; my body strains to move a muscle, just a twitch of a finger and I will win. But nothing... I can feel my vocal cords strain to emit a sound, but even a squeak is impossible.

"It's just a dream!" my brain insists, while still fighting intensely to move frozen muscles. My body is drenched in sweat; I can feel it's sting burning my eyes, but even pain of the salty liquid doesn't cause a blink. Panic gives way to blind terror; I throw every ounce of strength into my efforts to so something -- anything that will prevent this horror from unfolding.

My little finger twitches... Just a small movement, but it's enough! I concentrate everything on repeating that movement and it all happens at once. My entire hand responds just as a scream -- my scream? hers? rips through the night. I wake as my husband jolts up in bed in response to my actions; my arms flaying the air, fighting off the still vanishiing entity. As he gathers me in his arms to offer comfort, I know I've defeated her yet again. But the battle is far from over; she will be back.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 12:28pm

LOL... thanks; I'm hoping that writing it out will clear it  from my head and make it go away! It's so not fun having it happen three or four nights out of the week. I already have insomnia, but there are nights I totally dread going to sleep 'cause I know it's about "that time" again. *sigh*

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-23-2012 - 8:52pm

I was hesitant to say it worked, in case I jinxed myself. But, it's been a week and a half since I wrote it and no specter dreams have visited. Given that I was having this dream (or a variation of it) about every other night for the last few months, it just may have worked.

Or "she" is plotting something really, really devious to spring on me when I least expect it! Bwahahahaha!