Are you job-hopping to get up the corporate ladder?

iVillage Member
Are you job-hopping to get up the corporate ladder?
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 11:16pm

If so, check out this article.  I can honestly say that I do that recruiters are asking more and more about why people move from one job to another along with any time periods where you have no employment.

So do you think that there is any validity to the article?  I know that in my parents' generation people would stay with one company forever it seemed like. 

iVillage Member

That is so true. I find it interesting that most people don't realize that.  I personally hate looking for a new job.  Whenever, I'm looking I am doing it to stay employed.  I already know that the company is in trouble and will be closing their doors.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 11:41am

I find this very interesting. I have been taking business classes and the recommendation is to leave your job and start looking for another after 7 years if you haven't received a promotion or raise. One of the problems with that is that many people don't stick around that long. My husband has been in his management job for 25+ years and he now interviews more and more job hoppers. The main reason they give for leaving previous employers is always that they are looking for more money. He asks why they didn't stick around and work their way up and most say it takes too long.

He sees so many men his age that have been in the workforce just as long but don' t make nearly as much as he does. The main reason they don't is because of their job hopping.

Brenda