Sleep - how much & where?

iVillage Member
Sleep - how much & where?
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 12:37am

I've not been on in a while, so forgive me if there has been a similar thread.  And I know its been mentioned here and there, but I wanted to kind of focus on it.

I'm curious how much your LO sleeps and where/how.  Like what is the typical day time nap and what is overnight like?  Also, where does your LO sleep best at?  I mean crib, swing, being held, etc.

Harley is almost 6 weeks now - she has no real schedule yet, but she usually will sleep a long nap during the day - up to 3 hours.  Other than that - she naps the rest of the day between 15 minutes and an hour between feedings and her awake/alert periods.  Overnight she usually does a 5 hour stretch like about 1030-330, then about every 2 hours after.

In her overnight strtch she will sleep in the bed w/ me or in the crib/bassinet fine, but during the say she wakes up immediately if I put her in a bed.  She sleeps better/longer if she is held, in the swing, in the sling, or in the car seat.

I'm just wondering how this compares to others.  I don't remember the details from my 2 other DDs.  Have I spoiled her already by holding her to put her to sleep?  Is that why she doesn't sleep as well in the crib/bassinet?  Or will this just come in time? 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 10:00am

Ellie is 8 weeks and there is still no real pattern. During the day she naps on and off anywhere from 15 min to 3 hours. She will generally fall asleep in my arms and I'll put her in her bouncy seat or her crib. She can also fall asleep in the car seat if we are on a walk or driving around.
(We breast feed on demand and there is no schedule for that either. If she is awake she just wants to snack all day.)
Lately, I have had a very hard time getting her to fall asleep at night when I am ready to go to bed. The thing that works best is to take her into bed with me and nurse her lying down.  We both fall asleep together that way.  I try to get her into the bedside cosleeper if I am still awake, but often she ends up sleeping in our bed. Once she is asleep, she'll sleep for 4-6 hours and then maybe 2-3 more after that.
I'm jealous that you can get her to fall asleep in a sling. The few times I have tried to put Ellie in a sling she just screamed.

Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 10:07am

Mason sleeps best at night cuddled close to DH or me. We have given up on the pack and play in our room. He eats every 2-4 hours or so. I just nurse him in bed and we both fall asleep. During the day he sleeps being held mostly. Someimes we can put him down in the swing for a little while, but usually he just wakes back up. He will only be happy a short amount of time each day without being held. He is a cuddly boy. He doesn't have any set schedule. He pretty much thinks he should be eating if he is awake, but we do use a nuk too. Looks like he is right on target for weight at 47% so similar to his siblings at his age.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 10:15am

I don't think your little one is spoiled. She should be held at this age. She knows she is safe and secure with you. Independence will come with time. I know it is hard to get stuff done or sleep well when they want to be held all the time, but it won't last forever. Every baby is different on how much holding they need. I used to think I was doing something wrong because my oldest had to be held and bounced/moved/walked all of the time. Mason is much like this. But Isaiah and the girls weren't quite as needy. Now I know they are just different and I don't feel so guilty. I was just sure I messed something up with Hunter because he was my first. I thought I over stimulated him and didn't recognize sleep cues (which may have been true) but since Mason is much the same, I don't feel as bad. I have learned how to deal with the neediness better and it helps that DH is the stay at home parent now instead of me (he has a lot more patience than I do in my opinion.) It sounds like you are doing a great job with her!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 12:55pm

We've actually been on a pretty regular schedule from the start. Ellie is usually up for the day around 7 am and she's awake at most 1 1/2 hours and then sleeps for 2-3 hours at a time. Most often than not she will eat and go back to sleep during the day. She does have a stretch between 7-9 pm where she'll be up for a while and then I'll put her in her crib for the night. She's up 2 times during the night and I go to her room to change, feed and put her back in her crib. She will then get up around 4 or 5 and that time I will go in and get her and bring her in our room to nurse and then she goes back to sleep until 7 am.

During the day when she's sleeping she's either in her swing. bouncer or I'm holding her.