DH's family hates me =\

iVillage Member
DH's family hates me =\
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 1:00am
His mother has been very vocal about her hatred for me, with no real reason except to say im a mistake and will ruin her sons life. His step dad is a loser who won't even look me on the eye and actual gets rude with me when I talk to DH's two year old brother. Some of his family is ok with me but I suspect that's only because they love my husband and respect that I am his wife and he wants it that way. That being said, I hate that as far as I know I have done nothing to this family and they hate me =\ I want to plan him a surprise birthday party in a few weeks and because his family won't talk to me it's almost impossible! And forget holiday dinner or anything =| she actually planned his little brothers party last week around my work schedule so I wouldn't be there! She's that pathetic and childish. Including publicly slamming me on Facebook in front of DH's friends! It's to the point where I don't know what to do about it anymore =\ I will never ask him to "pick sides" or anything like that but sometimes I wish he would stick up for me or something. I'm his wife for crying out loud! =\
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 9:40pm
He needs new friends <g>
Tell him it's time to man up :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 9:18pm
Ive tried the talking to him. And his friends don't like me either. They are all pill heads and they blame me for him figuring this out, even though it was bound to happen. Ahhh sigh
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 11:58am
I agree with the others,
You need to sit down with DH & talk to him.
While he may not choose sides he should be very supportive of you & stand up for you as well.
Good luck & let us know if/when you do talk to your DH :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 10:51am

I agree with misty that the two of you need to present a united front. He needs to know that their behavior hurts you and could eventually cause a strain in the relationship between the two of you. It isn't about him choosing sides; it's about him helping you settle into his family.

It's so hard to know why they are behaving this way. They may think they have a reason or it may just be completely irrational.

Is there anyone who is the least bit nice to you? If there is someone who behaves civily, I would reach out to that person, suggest going out, just the two of you, for coffee or lunch and see if they can give you some tips on how to get his family to warm up to you.

It doesn't sound like a surprise party if practical if they won't cooperate. You could plan something with his friends or abandon the surprise aspect and try to get them involved in a more traditional celebration.

Good luck!

RoseAnn

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 9:19am
That's the problem is he doesn't talk to them about it =| he just says that it's their loss on not liking me and that I shouldn't let it get to me because he loves me and that's all that matters =\
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 6:37am

You need to talk to  your husband about it, you two need to be on the same side about  this and also he needs to know how you feel and talk to the family about it.

Pages