The beginning of Karen's Birthday Celebration. She turns 35 on the 13th!!!!!!!!!

iVillage Member
The beginning of Karen's Birthday Celebration. She turns 35 on the 13th!!!!!!!!!
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 6:25am
What's what with you? me. Today is a day for shots. I forgot about them till last night. When I get home I will finish packing. Then it is whatever needs to be done around the house. .... Today is a long night, it is reled, It's a nice boring day. I keep thinking there is something else, but their isn't
Photobucket
iVillage Member

Very tangentially related to writing a note...I forgot to mention that Sarah has Saturday school on, well, Saturday.  Looks like I will be dropping her off there before I head to Des Moines.  That's okay, it will get me out of the house promptly.

So, the dealio is that they are not supposed to have their phones during school hours.  Phones should be in the locker, turned off.  However, Sarah's 3rd hour teacher asked them to bring their phones to class.  Turns out this was to do some research on the web.  Which Sarah's phone is not "smart" enough to do.  Sarah put the phone in her pocket and forgot about it.  Until the start of the next period, when she realized she still had it.  She asked her teacher if she could go put it away and got permission.  BUT she was seen in the hall at her locker during class time with her phone in her hand.  I thought the punishment for that was that the phone was taken away for the rest of the day (and maybe that happened), but apparently you get a Saturday school. 

Karens siggy
iVillage Member
Good morning!!
It's Wednesday. I'm alive. And not quite buried. :smileytongue:

I HAVE to go to kohl's over lunch today. I'm back to wearing "work" clothes instead of capris and sandals, and I only have 4 pairs of nice pants that fit!! I mean, it's great that everything I own is too big, BUT . . . I need more pants. lol :smileyhappy:

Happy almost-Birthday Karen.
Geo and Missy, enjoy your mostly-relaxing days!
Stacy - hope you feel better.
MJ - enjoy your playdate!

Ok - back to work. <3 you all!
Jill
CL-Signature Showcase
Mom to Rossalyn (8/22/07) and Sean (12/29/08)
Resort manager, avid scrapbooker, and Disney World guru.
iVillage Member
Karen that seems extreme given the circumstances. You would think they would understand when she explained that a teacher made her take it to class.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
HI JILL!!!!!!!!

hope things are going well at work!
and WOOT on the clothes! :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
My day just got better. My pedi will be free today!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
thats awesome!
:smileyhappy:
enjoy
Photobucket
iVillage Member

Jill, good for you!  Go buy a new wardrobe.

Missy, inquiring minds want to know:  How do you get a free pedi?

Stacy, the teacher who saw Sarah did not want to hear any explanation.

Karens siggy
iVillage Member
In that case, I would contact the teacher who let her go to her locker with the phone and not a pass. They should be able to clear the record. Of course, I could see my Sarah using her phone in the situation and telling me she didn't. Still.

Our kids are allowed to have their phones on them, but they cannot be seen looking at them, and they cannot be heard - the phones are confiscated and locked in the office until a parent picks it up. High school they can use them at lunch and between periods in the hallway. Of course, they only have 5 minute passing periods and only 4 classes so not much opportunity. And if you are late to class doors are closed - you have to go get a pass from the office to get in if you don't have one from the previous class already. And class tardies add up and can count against being able to participate in things like the Homecoming dance. Too many class tardies in a certain time period, they won't sell you a ticket.
Michelle
iVillage Member

Sarah wanted to see if she could work it out today, so we will see what happens. 

However, this type of thing bites her all the time.  If 2 hours of school on Saturday morning helps her to think about how she could do things differently (maybe "Mrs. X, what will we be using our phones for?  Oh, I can't do internet on mine, so I won't bring it."  OR "I need to remember to put my phone away. Let me make a note to myself on top of my pile of books so I don't forget." OR "I have my phone and I think the right thing is to put it away. Miss Y, can I get a pass to take it to my locker?") then that is time well spent.  And I think it is also a good thing that she wanted to try to work it out herself and not have us involved. 

Karens siggy
iVillage Member

You are so wise for an almost-35 year old!

Michelle