Polar bear fur.......

iVillage Member
Polar bear fur.......
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 8:10am

the web page I check the weather on( http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0464/k2h6k3/E1772549) started a while back having a daily quiz with multiple choices for the answers, you click your answer, then go and check out what the actual answer is - it's silly but fun.

Todays question was about the colour of polar bear fur "When viewed up close, polar bears have what colour fur?" and the choices were white, grey, blonde. clear, or none of the above.

I picked "Blonde",and at the results page saw that had been the majority choice. The actual answer was "clear" apparently close up polar bear fur has no colour at all - my question then was; exactly how close would you have to be to figure that out? and would the answer then be of any material use to you? rofl!!

Carole

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 8:27am
ROFLOL - I don't know that I want to be that close.
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 12:06pm
You would have to be one of the scientists checking out the polar bear after it's been tranquilised. Otherwise, forget it and stay in your tundra bus! I love bears, but from a distance!

I believe that answer's only of use in a trivia game, maybe a specifically Canadian one? :smileywink:

I like answering those questions. Sometimes I learn interesting tidbits!

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 1:30pm
ROFLOL I think perhaps you are correct.

I *do* LOVE polar bears, and I particularly like their white fluffy fur, which is apparently clear ....

Is the white then a reflection of the snow, she wonders?

&nb
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 3:49pm

Apparently it reflects the light; if I had read this article before answering my daily quiz I would have got much better marks lol!
http://www.kidzone.ws/sg/polarbear/polar_bear.htm
"Despite what we think, a polar bear's fur is not white. Each hair is clear hollow tube. Polar bears look white because each hollow hair reflects the light. On sunny days, it traps the sun's infrared heat and keeps the bear warm at 98 degrees F (when they're resting)".

Carole

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 5:16pm

You just never know what you are going to learn on this board do you?  Love it!   :smileyhappy:

Elaine

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 5:42pm
That's true, but I was thinking more along the lines of "Oh look - up really close polar bear fur has no colour at all! How very intere..............................." lol!

Carole

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 2:14am
Huh! I did not know that! It always looks kind of yellowish to me so I thought maybe they were blondes.

I love bears of all sorts. If I didn't think I'd get mauled, I'd go snuggle up with one for a nap...lol

They are fascinating...all types!

Sarah

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 6:48pm
Intriguing. Thanks for sharing that! :smileyhappy:

&nb