Weekly Chit Chat 10/1-10/7

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Registered: 12-31-1969
Weekly Chit Chat 10/1-10/7
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 8:37am

Hello again ladies!  Sorry for the delay in getting this week's thread started.  Monday was just way too busy at work that I didn't get a chance to get on here at all.  And yesterday we had a severe medical emergency with Jesse that prevented me from getting on again.

Jesse got some OxiClean in his eye while at my dad's laundromat and DH had to take him to the hospital to have it flushed.  He texted me to let me know, and I about freaked out because just a few weeks ago I read an article about another little boy that had this happen.  This other boy didn't get proper treatment and ended up losing his vision and one eye completely.  So I made him insist on them continuing to flush out his eye, and make arrangements to be seen immediately by an eye doctor.  I had to leave work and travel down there so my dad could get his car back, and to take Jesse to the eye doctor.  

The eye doctor was quite rude and clearly didn't have much experience with a wounded toddler.  He scream at us for not knowing the PH of the oxiclean (I now know it's 11) and for me not being able to hold Jesse still on my lap for him to examine the eye.  He prescribed some eye drops for us to apply every two hours.  And it was a good thing I was watching his computer screen because the warning came up that the drops he was prescribing had Neosporin in it - Jesse is highly allergic to Neosporin and gets burns from it (which is why we informed the nurse who put it in his chart, and that's why a red flashing warning was popping up on the dr's screen).  So then he decides to just give us a generic - but wouldn't that still be NeosporinI ask.  Duh.  So we finally got some eye drops without the Neosporin.  It's a good thing I went, because DH didn't remember the allergy.  Anyway, Jesse's eye is still really red and inflamed, and we don't know if he can see in that eye.  Poor thing just keeps holding the side of that eye and telling us it hurts.  And now that I've had some time to do a little more research I'm even more concerned that they didn't flush it enough and it could still be burning him.  I'll be calling the doctors later on when the offices open for the day.

Never a dull moment around here.

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-12-2008
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 2:56pm

Donna - that is so scarey.  Your poor little man.  I can't imagine seeing him in pain like that and not being able to make it better and all you can do is try to comfort him without letting him know how scared you are too.  It is a good thing that you caught the allergy but that really stinks that the doctor was so rude.  Do you have a follow up appt to have his eye checked?  I hope he heals quickly and doesn't have any long term problems.

AFM - we have been keeping busy.  Yesterday we had an unsuccessful trip to the library.  Angie is officially walking but it has made her become more clingy and jealous when I need to care for Marissa.  She still likes to walk around the room holding my hand and it seems her realization of independance only wants to make her revert back to needing me again.  I am trying to spend as much time with her as possible but at the same time I don't want to cater to her every desire since she needs to learn how to do things on her own.  It has been a really difficult balance.  So she had a meltdown at the library and wouldn't stop crying and saying "all done" until I packed up to go home.  But today my mom came over for the morning.  I was able to re-caulk the bath tub since it was gross and there was no way I wanted to show anyone this house with it looking the way that it didn.  That took me all morning but the girls enjoyed playing with my mom.  She's got a few wednesdays available so it looks like she might spend some time around here while I try to get the little things done in the house that I can't do with the kids.  As for the new house, we are about 8 weeks away from potentially being able to live there, as long as no further delays happen.  So we won't be able to host Thanksgiving this year but if all goes well we should be able to move in that weekend!


Community Leader
Registered: 07-07-2008
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 11:55pm
Good evening ladies! Just stopping in to say hi.

Donna - I hope everything is doing better with Jesse's eye. That sounds horrible. How's school going this year?

Cynthia - I hope everything works out so you can move in your house in 8 weeks. Sorry you won't be able to host Thanksgiving this year, but there's always next year. :smileyhappy:

Bruce is doing great right now. He has all of his teeth except for his 2 year molars. He is up running around and climbing on everything. He is still pretty stubborn about things too. :smileyhappy: He is great with his little sister and whenever he hears her start to cry, he makes sure we are taking care of her.

Nathan is doing great in his new school and has all As and I B so far this year. He comes home and is actually excited about some of the things he is learning/doing in school!

Hazel is doing great so far. She's 3 weeks old now and eating like crazy. She sleeps really well between feedings. I can't believe it's already been 3 weeks. It has gone by so fast. I am not looking forward to going back to work in a few more weeks.