Driving with Parkinson's Disease

Administrator
Driving with Parkinson's Disease
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 9:24am

Do you still drive? Has your doctor talked to you about the possibility of giving up your driving privileges because of the medication you take? Do you take extra precaution when driving?

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 9:51am

Great question Karla! I'm always interested to see how others view/deal with this issue.

Yes.... I do continue to drive and while there are times that I know I have to be a little extra careful/focused, for the most part I have no problems. I do have to do my best to avoid any distractions, i.e. fooling with the radio, using my cell phone, etc.... However, as long as I remember to use that little extra focus and not allow myself to be become too distracted by whatever, I have no problems.

I must confess that I am a "driver" - always have loved to drive - always will....! At the same time, I firmly believe and trust in my own judgement that when the time comes that I shouldn't drive, I'll know it's time to give it up. I've always held a standard for driving and when I can no longer maintain that standard - I will know and I will stop. I have no desire to be the guy who does something to harm someone/anyone because I've exceeded my limitations behind the wheel.

I could go on about this subject because it is near and dear to me. As I said "I am a driver."

It will be interesting to see what others say about this and especially how other 'driver's' feel about the subject. Also how they are or plan to deal with it when they feel they shouldn't be out there any longer!

Thanks again for bringing this up!

BTW: After posting this I was re-reading the question and realized I failed to respond to the part about my doctor talking to me about driving.

My wife is always along at my appointments with my neurologist and when/if he asks about 'driving' I always look at my wife to see what/how she responds. She always states that I have no problems with driving. As long as I have her approval, being as 99% of the time I'm the one driving, I'm comfortable with it. She is my BIGGEST critic by far and when she says something I know I'd better listen or I'm in real trouble!  :smileytongue:   :smileywink:

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 1:25pm

Thankfully, driving hasn't become an issue for me despite living with Parkinson's Disease for the past 13 years. My only issue with driving has more to do with long distant travel wearing me out physically that I need to pace myself. When I sit for too long in one position I lock up and get very, very stiff. Going to a movie, long drives and such can be a real pain, literally.

the National Parkinson's Foundation has this to say about driving with PD:

http://www.parkinson.org/Parkinson-s-Disease/Living-Well/Activities-of-Daily-Living/Driving-with-PD

and the Parkinson's Disease Foundation had to this say:

http://www.pdf.org/en/summer04_Driving

while the Michael J. Fox Foundation has said this:

https://www.michaeljfox.org/understanding-parkinsons/living-with-pd/topic.php?driving

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 10:51am

I haven't been told yet to halt my driving.  Thank goodness since I am the taxi mom!  But my mom, on the other hand, has been told repeatedly not to drive.  I've ridden with her and it is quite scarey!  But since my dad has passed away, she is letting me drive her most of the time.  It's not just for her safety, it is for the safety of the others on the road.  Her reflexes are not good at all!  And many times she has taken off, then gets lost.