Heavy periods

iVillage Member
Heavy periods
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 11:17am

Hello there, ladies of iVillage. Anyway, my embarrassing question is this: is it normal to still have heavy periods even while on the pill? This morning I woke up and was completely soaked with blood. On the first and second nights of my period, I will routinely soak through a maxi pad during the night, unless I purposely wake myself up in the middle of the night to change it. And during the second day of my period I will soak through a tampon in about 2 hours or so. And I always use super absorbency tampons. 

So does anyone else have experience with heavy periods like this? I was on Lybrel recently so I could avoid having periods altogether, but my insurance doesn't cover it so it got too expensive for me to afford on my own. So now I'm back to regular Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo. 

Community Leader
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 11:39am
Was your period this heavy before going on the pill? I have a friend whose DD has horribly heavy periods, on her worst day it is a super absorbancy plus pad every 45 minutes. They have tried her on difference BCP's, some make the bleeding worse, some make it slightly better. Have you talked to your OB about checking for endometriosis or any other ulterior reasons why you have the heavy bleeding, done any hormone level blood tests?
Photobucket