Jennifer Livingston, TV Anchor, Responds To Viewer's Attack On Her Weight

iVillage Member
Jennifer Livingston, TV Anchor, Responds To Viewer's Attack On Her Weight
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 11:25am

“The truth is, I am overweight," she said. "But to the person who wrote me that letter, do you think I don’t know that? That your cruel words are pointing out something that I don’t see? You don't know me... so you know nothing about me but what you see on the outside and I am much more than a number on a scale."

Watch the video here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/02/jennifer-livingston-anchor-obesity-letter_n_1932869.html

She said that bullying scared her as the mother of three daughters. "If you are at home and you are talking about the fat newslady, guess what?" she said. "Your children are probably going to go to school and call someone fat."

Livingston thanked the viewers, friends and colleagues who have stood up for her, and ended with these words:

“I leave you with this: To all of the children out there who feel lost, who are struggling with your weight, with the color of your skin, your sexual preference, your disability, even the acne on your face, listen to me right now. do not let your self-worth be defined by bullies. Learn from my experience — that the cruel words of one are nothing compared to the shouts of many.”

What are your thoughts?

iVillage Member

This was interesting. I credit her for standing up for herself. She is a strong lady for having the backbone to do that. I also think she sent a very positive message to all "different" people.

photo Kim-1.jpg