1st time runner HEEEELP!!

iVillage Member
1st time runner HEEEELP!!
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 11:33am

Hello ladies!

I'm new to this forum and I'm also new at running. I am loosing weigh very fast so I decide it is time to do exercise to keep it up, but I'm having a lot of issues.:womanfrustrated:

1st " I can't control my breathing" How do I do not to feel like I'm going to die every 5 minutes??? It's really annoying, so If you have any advice PLEASE, let me  now. :womanwink:

2nd. I'm not used to exercise, so I really don't know how many miles I should start with. :smileyindifferent:

3rd I run like 3 miles on sunday and I still can't move my legs because of the pain. I,ve stretched but i guesss it didn't work. :womanlol:

So, ladies, if any of you is interested in helping me, PLEASE, answer this post. 

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

P/S   Excuse my english, I'm still learning.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 12:24pm
HI and welcome! You might want to post this up in the top thread - not many of us look down here and this is definitely running related! :-)

OK for question 1 - to control your breathing? SLOW. DOWN. A lot. A whole lot. And incorporate walk breaks. You don't need to run straight through. Maybe run (slowly) for 2 minutes and then take a 1 minute walk break. Alternate that until you have run for 30 minutes.

Question 2 - there is no right or wrong answer but looking at question 3, 3 miles is way too much if you are in so much pain. Soreness is normal, but if you cant move your legs, that means it is too much too soon and you could set yourself up for injury. And also right now, don't worry about mileage - go by time like I suggested above. Maybe start with 20 minutes and see how that goes. If 20 is good and you feel fine, then go to 25 minutes. Get a cheap watch and track your time, and don't worry about distance.

3rd question - if it hurts, you're running too much, too hard or too fast. Cut back until you build up your muscles and endurance.

Last, a training plan like a Couch to 5k plan will be a big help. I've given a link below to a popular plan that starts you at a run/walk for 20 minutes and over a 9 week period builds you to running straight through for 30 minutes. It's a great way to get started and many of us here started this way.

Good luck and feel free to chime in in any of the posts above!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

131.gif image by y_baros th5K.gif image by jade_simo

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 8:36pm
Welcome
I agree. Many dont look down here so please post up above. I also agree with the ladies on there answers. I took a hiatus from running and when I came back I started with 1 mile and I think it was half run half walk. If you go to hard to soon you will not stay with running. You want running to be a long term investment. It takes time. Please continue to join us either on the daily thread or by asking questions. Good luck