Usually spot before AF. A q for BTDT mom's

iVillage Member
Usually spot before AF. A q for BTDT mom's
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 12:49pm

Hello Ladies,

So for years now I have spotted lightly for 5 or 6 days before AF.  Odd yes, but my doctor didn't think it was anything to worry about, said it's not uncommon, and since it's so predictable I don't think much of it either...until it doesn't happen.  AF is due Friday but I haven't had any spotting at all.  I just tested and got a BFN so I really don't know what's going on.  I suppose I could have O'd later than usual and therefore have a longer cycle this month but that would be odd too as I've had 29/30 day cycles for the last 4 years.

I wonder what others with similar cycles have experienced?  Have you gotten a BFP in the past and also have a history of spotting before AF and if so did you skip over this leading up to your BFP or was it "business as usual" with spotting that just didn't lead to a real period?  I realize that all will be revealed over the course of the next week or so but I'm going crazy with impatience and thought you ladies might be able to shed some light. Should I get my hopes up or am I just seeing what I want to see?  Any nuggets of wisdom or history will be hugely appreciated!

*Edited because I appear to not only be losing my mind but also my manners :-/

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 2:07pm

I spot for a few days as well before AF arrives, so I'm really interested to see how this plays out for you. When can you test again?

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 4:01pm

Hi Elizabeth and Plumlover.

Thank you for sharing your story and your interest. I made it to Saturday when I still had no spotting so I tested and got 2 pink lines only to go right into a full on period Monday.  No days of spotting leading up to it like I normally have.  I'm not sure what it all means besides I'm clearly not pregnant now.  My husband and I are very disappointed which has surprised us both since we agreed a while ago that children weren't the best choice for us.  I suppose the good news is that we are again open to talking about that possibility.  We'll see what we come up with.

Thanks for reading.

vivi