Not doing Flu Shots

iVillage Member
Not doing Flu Shots
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 1:53pm

I realize this could easily turn in to a debate, and for that, I'm sorry.  If it does turn into a debate, I ask that everyone be respectful of the other person's decision.  :smileyhappy:

My family and I do NOT do flu shots at all, but this year my dr is really pushing me into it due to the pregnancy.  A few years back, we opted to not take the shots anymore, as the last year we did, we STILL got the flu!  We got a strand of the virus that was not covered with the shot.  Once that happens, you pretty much give up on it.  The flu shot was pointless that year. 

Last year, we all got the flu, but fought it off with meds from the doctor, and really it wasn't too bad.  The doctor freaked out more than I did.  LoL

So with all that being said, our Flu shot decision is personal, and I would really like for no one to try to change my mind about it. :smileywink:

If you feel like sharing, will you be getting the shot?

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 3:38pm

I'm actually glad that this topic came up.  I am really struggling with this decision.  I generally do not get the shot.  I think I got it with my other pg's but have not since.  I'm leaning towards getting it but I'm not 100% there yet.  I'd love to hear what others have decided.

BabyName Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 3:59pm

Dani, I have thought about getting it only because I'm pregnant, but I don't know.  It's a tough decision (especially when you lost faith in the drug)!  The dr told me our immune systems are compromised when we are pregnant, therefore it is harder for us to fight off viruses.  If I do get it, then I have to worry about the side effects from the shot.  Every person in my family has had adverse reactions, which is another reason we decided to not get them anymore. 

Honestly, I have felt worse having Strep than having the flu, but that's just me.  Everyone feels different.  :smileyhappy:

I'm anxious to see what everyone else has to say, too! 

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 9:27pm
I do not get flu shots for me or the kids. My husband is a paramedic/ff and they offer it every year at work because of the contact with sick people. I'm actually not sure if he gets them or not. It's not worth the side effects for us to get the shot. If we get sick we deal with it, but we have been pretty healthy. Every pregnancy I usually end up with a really nasty cold at some point.
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 9:47pm
Yeah...I'm in the healthcare field as well (an RN) and I usually do not get it. Just struggling with my decision this time around. I love hearing everyone's decision.
 BabyName Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 10:15pm

My oldest should get the flu shot due to her asthma but I don'[t think she has these past few years (she's almost 21 so I have no say anymore :smileyhappy: )and my second child is almost 16 and the last flu shot he got was before I divorced his father 4.5 years ago.  I don't think I have ever gotten a flu shot in the past because the flu has always been easier than a cold around here.  I refuse to get one while pg. I've never really understood the reasoning behind them since they only cover the strains they think will be "out" that year and in a way give a false sense of security.  (the "I don't have to wash my hands/use hand sanitizer/disinfect surfaces cause I had the flu shot so I can't get the flu" kind of thinking)  I've also heard of people getting the flu from the flu shot or it's been a coincidence that they got a non-covered strain of the flu shortly after getting flu shot.

Lisa

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 10:37pm

I'm so happy I'm not the only one who feels like it's a waist. 

I really respect others' decisions to get the flu shot, I just know it's not for my family and I.  :smileyhappy: 

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 10:44pm

We don't get them at this point.  My oldest did for a couple years... and then my second got it at birth, and so did I at the time (he was born in Oct, and with all the hype we were swayed into doing it).  Since then none of us do anymore.  Sure we've had the flu a couple times, but we fought it just like our body is meant to.  I personally feel it's too pushed on people; and that just doesn't sit well with me.  That's just our personal choice though!  It's good that everyone is able to make their own decision on it.   Oh and I would definitely not get while pregnant; again just my personal feeling.  I just feel our bodies are meant to work a certain way, and I'd rather it work that way naturally!  I really don't like the idea of not knowing exactly what's being shot into me!  And I also know many people who've gotten the shot, yet still got sick. 

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 6:44am
I've never had the flu shot...and never had the flu either, well, very very rarely. An occasional cold, but I can't say that I have even had that more than once a year. So, no I am not getting the shot.

Candice
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 4:26pm

I hae never gotten a flu shot, and would rather skip it this year as well. However, I'm on the fence and am weighing my pros and cons. I would like to avoid the adverse effects that come with it, but I'm also a teacher and am surrounded by germs constantly.

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 9:08pm

The one time that I did get it, I got sick, kinda like I had the flu (which I guess I did since the vaccine is a weakened version of the virus). So after that, I decided to just take my chances.

Pages