October Journal

iVillage Member
October Journal
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 2:02pm

Welcome to a new month everyone, according to everyones journals we're all doing quite well.  Keep up the good work everyone!

Comments/questions from September's journal:

LBW - I know at the University where I work we see students overextending themselves all the time to beef up their resumes - honestly I don't know when they sleep! LOL

This is definitely something I'm doing differently in grad school.  In undergrad I worked more than one job (I made way less money then so I had to work even more), took at least 6 classes per semester, and had quite a few family obligations.  I wanted to spend more time exploring careers and having fun, but I really couldn't afford to.  I sacrificed sleep a lot more back then for the sake of working, studying, or spending time with friends and it really wasn't worth it.  I often woke up with my face plastered to a textbook, in the middle of a meal, etc.   

Now with grad school I'm not doing that.  When I'm tired I go to sleep regardless of what is still left to do.  There will always be more work, more studying, more chores, more errands and there is just no sense in my being tired trying to get everything done.  I'm also making sure that most of what I spend time on is stuff that I WANT to be doing.  In undergrad over half of what I spent my time doing I absolutely hated.  Whether it was a sucky job, a class I had no interest in but needed for general ed requirements, negative friends, or a bf that made me miserable.  Well I'm not putting up with that anymore.  What I learned in my years off from school was that I don't absolutely have to do anything.  Yes I have to make sure my needs are met (having my wants met is a nice bonus), but I can choose how that happens.  

I can't believe you guys are still so warm - we're expecting the temps to take a big dip this week into much more fall-like weather.

It's supposed to drop to the mid 80s this weekend, but after that the temperatures could rise again.  Experts are predicting this will be a very warm October, which I don't mind so much actually.  It gives me time to get ready for winter...get my car serviced, stock my kitchen with crock pot goodies, and get some cold weather clothes and shoes.  Because of where I'm going to school I'm actually going to have to buy way more cold weather gear than usual because its always 20-30 degrees cooler there and there's a lot more rain and fog.  Where I live sure it gets cold and sometimes rains, but you can still quickly dash about in your flip flops and no jacket.  At school I'd turn blue before I got out of the car lol.

It really is good of you to look at extra oppurtunities for your resume - and like you said - everyone wins.

Agreed.  It is very important to me to do this now because I didn't get to in undergrad.  I suppose I could have tried harder to make it work in undergrad, but I was barely keeping my head above water so it really seemed impossible.  Now everything seems possible and I'm more focused on what I want to do so finding opportunities that will give me a boost is important.

What is H&M - doesn't sound like a store we have near me.

I would describe H&M as a trendy department store that mainly sells clothes, but has some accessories.  They have stuff for women, men, and kids, but their primary audience is women.  Also their prices are crazy affordable.  Basic tees for 6 bucks?  That wasn't the sale price, it was the regular price.  Since I'm trying really hard to try new fashion styles its a good place for me to shop because they don't just have casual stuff.  They have work attire, date night attire, lounge wear, etc.  Layering is also a big thing to so most of their pieces are designed for mixing and matching.

Follow me to Coping with Job Loss

Follow me to Birth Control

--------

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 4:17pm
Yup a cutie will definitely motivate you on a workout!! LOL And seeing them is a good first step LBW!

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 11:41am
I'm not sure there are more attractive men here compared to anywhere else. Maybe. I think it is more likely that I feel better about myself and therefore am trying to be more open to romantic possibilities. Now I'm not making any headway with any of them, but at least I'm seeing them whereas a few years ago I never saw any prospects.

And if a cute guy inspired that great of a run for you then perhaps you should be looking around more often hehehee.

--------
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 6:57pm
LBW - I've decided you must live in a mecca of good looking men! lol I don't usually stare at eye candy being a married woman but I will admit that on my Monday run I passed a good looking guy at the base of the hill - I totally busted that hill out trying to act like I attack it at that level all the time...lol! It was good for the workout!

Woot woot on a few days off! Sounds like you spent them just right to!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 12:21pm
LBW - I hope all went well on the midterms and papers! I forgot how much time school takes up even beyond the class-time! I'm hoping you really do get that relaxing weekend you deserve!

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 7:37pm

10/3/12

Oh happy day and a day off at that.  I finally had a chance to take the car in for a service and full inspection and it turns out it is in excellent shape.  Nothing is falling apart, nothing is broken, and all I have to do is standard maintenance which is very affordable.  Gosh I forgot that owning a car didn’t have to be a financial burden lol.  This is a huge relief.

Water: 3 cups

Exercise: Two 17 min workouts

10/4/12

How strange to have a 2nd day off.  It’s been so long I’ve forgotten what that is like.  I spent the day catching up on things, enjoying the arrival of money I wasn’t expecting, volunteering, and lounging.  I even did something I never do and took a nap!  Food was just junk today, but that’s ok.  I can do better tomorrow.

Water: 4 cups

Exercise: None

10/5/12

Wow gas went up over 30 cents per gallon.  Not fun considering my commute to school.  Today was pretty good otherwise.  I went to the bank today and my oh my was Mr. Teller hot.  Perhaps I’ll have to go in more often.

Exercise: Three 17 min workouts

10/6/12

Wow I made it through my 5 week stretch of having class every single weekend and I finally get next weekend off.  Even better news one of my classes will end the weekend after that which will lighten the load and I don’t particularly like that class anyway.  This also means that I only have 3 more weekends total to go to school which I’m very excited about.

10/7/12

It is midterms week.  2 of my classes have no midterms and my other 2 have take home exams.  Take home exams are always more time consuming and challenging in my opinion because professors really want to test your critical thinking skills. 

Fitness wise I’m still doing good.  I don’t have as much exercise variety as I would like, but I’m doing something which is really all that matters.

Food wise I’m doing ok.  I’ve slipped a little bit on my veggies so I’ll be working hard to remedy that.  I found a great sale on whole chickens so whenever I get around to cooking that I should have lean meat for quite some time.  I usually pick up Cornish hens, but this time the whole chicken was the economical choice.  Whole turkeys will also be on some crazy good sales soon, but I’m not sure I’ll pick one up.  I did last year and it took me nearly 8 months to eat it.  I don’t even like turkey that much lol.

I’d say the only thing stressing me out are gas prices.  Gas is always high here in California, but we went from the price being understandable to outrageous overnight.  It’s actually alerted the attention of the state officials who are pushing the feds to investigate.  Given the commute to school it certainly concerns me and while I tried to budget assuming gas prices would rise I didn’t account for these rapid surges we’re seeing.  *sigh*  It will all work out.  *smiles* 

10/8/12

I spent the majority of the day doing my midterms and honestly it could go either way.  Part of me feels like I did great and part of me really isn’t sure.  I also attended a really interesting networking meeting that gave me some ideas for my business.  Even though the week has just begun I felt like I needed a treat so I enjoyed a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  I almost never eat that flavor and forgot how tastefully simple it is.  Tomorrow is another day….

Water: 4 cups

Exercise: Two 30 min walks

10/9/12

Midterms are over, but I still don’t get a break because I have 2 big papers due next week and a final for another class the week after.  I also have a vendor event to prep for this weekend.  Sheesh I’m tired and because of that I’ve decided Saturday will be a fun day.  No working, no studying, and no laying around the house.

Water: 2 cups

--------
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 12:56pm
I'm suprised you were able to finish it! I tried drinking coconut water last weekend and I just couldn't get through the "juice box" because it didn't taste like I thought it would. It was sweeter than I thought it would be but also had a "root/dirt" tinge to it that I couldn't quite get past. I've got another one in my fridge that I'm not sure what I'll do with it. It's supposed to be really good for you but straight just isn't going to be my thing.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 11:38pm
What was funnier was that as I was sipping it I kept thinking "gee this is kinda gross" but I kept drinking it and finished it! I'm not sure if I was just thirsty or if it was the fact that it cost me 3 bucks. Either way I won't be buying one of those again.

--------
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 11:45am
I've never tried one of the V-8 fruit juices - I do love the regular V-8, but mixing veggies and fruits seems weird LOL And you've confirmed my suspicions. LOL

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 8:51am
That store sounds nice and you certainly can't go wrong with buying good pieces for layering! I'm finding that to be the way to spice up my wardrobe without spending a fortune!

I had to giggle over your description of the V8 - veggie broth with grapes sounds really icky!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 3:49pm
LBW - that is such a great attitude to have about not putting up with things that don't make you happy. AND that you're getting enough sleep. You know if you feel rested, you're so much more likely to be able to handle whatever comes your way!

Pages