34 week confusion

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
34 week confusion
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 6:17pm

My LO has totally confused my VERY experienced midwife.  She's sending me for an additional ultrasound to figure out the position.  This is a very low maintenance kind of midwife.  She doesn't even suggest the 20 week ultrasound is necessary (just optional), so for her to suggest we need one now has me a bit worried.  Where she hears the heartbeat doesn't jive with where she can feel the head and butt.  I'm trying not to overreact and the fact that I can't imagine what could cause this helps with that a bit.  I know this LO squirms in ways DD never could have...I sure hope the ultrasound can give a definitive answer.  With DD when I needed an ultrasound to understand an issue it took 3 to get an answer.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 12:35pm

Definitely call the U/S place yourself. Tuesday is just too long to wait. That being said... there's nothing I can think of that would be bad about this situation. She may just have made a mistake on where she thinks the bottom and head are. Last week, my nurse had a hard time finding the baby's HB. She FINALLY found it up by my belly button, and felt low and said "I don't know what this is, but it's NOT his head. Well, as it turns out, his head is down, he was just scooched up in my ribs.

At this stage of the game, they should be getting into position, so she probably wants to know where the baby is for delivery information, not because there's something wrong. I mean, it's not like the LO's heart migrated into a different place. It's beating and I promise you, it's in the correct place in that little body :smileyvery-happy:

theresa-2.gif picture by forceps40

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 7:26pm
These little ones sure can be contortionists! Hopefully your little one has just found a comfy new position that has your MW baffled.

--Heather-- proud mommy to five amazing kids and one more on the way!!

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 6:53pm
I hope you get a simple answer soon and try not to stress while you wait. Perhaps it is a simple thing like the sound is refracting off of a strange place or the placenta placement has camoflauged baby's hb. KUP
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!