Birth control after baby

iVillage Member
Birth control after baby
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 6:51pm

What is everyone doing regarding birth control now that baby is here?

I was on the pill for 9 years, then started charting (with emphasis on preventing pregnancy, not TTC) for 2 cycles before we got pregnant (oops! :smileyhappy:). So I'm not sure I want to try charting again as it wasn't very reliable for us as birth control! But I was so tired of being on the pill that I don't necessarily want to go back on it. Luckily I still have a few weeks before I'll be ready to DTD again to think about it :smileytongue: Ha ha my stitches are still healing :smileytongue:

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 1:00pm

Janet, have you considered non-estrogen types of birth control? It is the estrogen that increases risk for clots. Just a thought. There are of course many other options that don't include any hormones too. GL with getting hubby on board for another too if that is your hope!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 12:54pm

While your baby is soley breastfeeding, you can use the progesterone only pill, Megan. It won't affect your milk supply. But once he starts sleeping through the night or eating formula or solids, it becomes less effective.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 2:12pm

I've never thought about an IUD/IUS - they have always scared me. Maybe I'll look more into that.

So I've been reading that the hormones in the pill don't necesarrily affect baby at all through breastmilk, but that they can affect milk supply? That's a dealbreaker for me and the pill then! :smileytongue:

It seems like charting and condoms will have to do for now! I'll admit the "oops" happened because we were only using condoms around my "fertile" period and not all the time, so when I ovulated a day earlier than I was supposed to we were in trouble! :smileyhappy: Tee hee, this time we'll know! Alby doesn't need a sibling right away :smileywink:

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 12:24pm

We just plan to use NFP at this point and condoms. I hate condoms but my husband isn't on board with getting snipped and I went off birth control 10 years ago. I was on birth control for 4 years and then my mom (47 at the time) had a massive stroke. I didn't want to risk being on medication that may or may not cause blood clots. I had a lot of anxiety after her stroke and symptoms so I just decided to go off it.

Who knows, maybe this is my husbands way of saying he really truely isn't done yet!!! :smileywink:

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 12:16pm

I'm also getting the Mirena IUD. I've been a little nervous about it, so I'm thrilled to hear the rave reviews. I have a bad reaction to the estrogen in traditional birth control pills and I can't take them now anyway because I'm breast feeding. I tolerated the mini pill well for 2 years, but then I got pregnant with Ellie while I was on it (oops) so now I don't trust it. We plan on having a second baby in 2 or 3 years, but until then I want no room for human error.

Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 8:59am

Mirena IUD here. I love it. I used it for four and a half years before this pregnancy. The lighter periods are great. I tried to copper IUD, but the bleeding sucked and then we decided to have Katie so I got it out after 3 months. Birth control pills are very effective for us, but I hated the emotional roller coaster. Condoms are not good for us (Isaiah was a one time oops.) We are very fertile so I wouldn't trust a timing method for myself. I like that I don't have think about birth control daily with the Mirena and it lasts 5 years. It seems to be widely loved by many people in the clinic, it goes in really easy post partum, there are only limited and localized hormones, menstrual bleeding and cramping are light or non existent, and fertility resumes right away when removed. But that is just me.

Photobucket