Is It Possible...?

iVillage Member
Is It Possible...?
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 11:17pm
Hi everyone, I am new to this sight, but my question to everyone/anyone that can help me out, is it possible to get pregnant while breastfeeding? I've done research and found it is and it is not possible. I don't know what to believe. My son will be 10 months on the 15th and my husband and I want to conceive again. But I have not gotten my period yet. I know you still ovulate with no period but there is no way to tell? Any tricks on an easier way to conceive while breastfeeding?? My son breastfeeds about 4 times a day, eats solid foods. We do co-sleep and lately only been one feeding at night (knock on wood stats that way) but some other nights he just want to comfort nurse. But any feed back would be great!! Would really like to give him a baby sibling being close in age!! Thank you!!
Community Leader
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 3:14am
Hi and welcome :smileyhappy:
When you can, check out our TTC Fact Sheet on how to help fertility come back when BF'ing....basically it is different for every woman. Some seem to conceive easily while still nursing - most need to wait until their babies are over a year old and eating more solid foods to see AF come back and be fertile again (the average seems to be at around 14 - 16 months PP). Even when you get AF back it usually needs sometime to regulate and even out....your cycles might be super long, the time between O and AF (called your Luteal phase) might be too short - in needs to be at least 10 days in order to support a pregnancy.
As for right now, if you are not getting AF and you are sure you are not pregnant, then you are not O'ing. If you were O'ing, you would see either AF (when your body sheds the lining of your uterus etc.) or you could catch that first egg, be pregnant, and not even see AF again for another chunk of time.
The best way to tell what is going on with your body is to take your basal temperature and chart. Many of us did this in conjunction with using cheap OPK's to watch for surges, as well as watching CM for fertile signs. Once you have been charting for awhile, you can really see definite patterns to show when /if you are O'ing etc. I hope I have answered your questions, but please let me know if you need more info. In the meantime, enjoy that sweet little one. Welcome to our board,
Jasmine
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 6:52pm
It's totally possible. I would highly recommend the fact sheet on this board as well as the book Taking Control of your Fertility- every woman should read it! You learn so much about your cycles and how to optimize your chances.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 10:54pm
Where do you find the fact sheet on this board?? Can't seem to find it
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 8:19am
I've just bumped the fact sheet in case you haven't found it. Good luck on your quest!
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 10:02am
I still can't find it
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 2:36pm
Thank u!