Teamwork

iVillage Member
Teamwork
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 12:25am
How are/will you and your partner divy up the newborn stress? DH and I are trying to figure out a routine that gets us both some rest, but excessive blood loss and BF troubles are making it hard. I can't imagine if we were in America and he didn't get so much leeway at work... Any suggestions? I'm on orders to do nothing but eat, sleep and nurse. :-/

My mom will be coming for a few weeks, but not til Oct 16 - which is about the time DH needs to get back to work.

- JM

iVillage Member
In reply to: txdela
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 12:06pm

I feel like nursing makes very little room for DH.  We basically have these huge nursing sessions that last anywhere from 40 minutes to 2 hours.  Plus, baby still acts hungry after that!  So how do I get Dh to help when this baby is glued to my chest all day and night?  Milk started coming in yesterday, so I'm hoping to get longer breaks between nursing once he gets used to real milk.  He lost a bit too much weight the first few days, we had to be weighed daily at the hospital, but he's back up to 6 pounds 13 ounces (born at 7 pounds 7 ounces) and the lactaction consultant said things will get easier now.

After every nursing session, I pass the baby to DH.  In the middle of the night even, I just wake up DH and don't even try to put the baby down, because I need a break!  Then I go the bathroom, go get a drink, and basically just stretch my legs and walk around the house for 5 minutes.  I have DH do most of the diapers (but we have very little, he hasn't pooped since Sunday and we only have 2-3 wet ones a day.)  I'm showering twice a day right now and getting dressed, because I need those few minutes alone.  I send DH out for food at least once a day, and eat simple stuff like cereal for the other meals so there is no prep work.  And I ask DH to get me a million things - pillows, blankets, the remote - because I do not like to sit up or move once I'm comfortable.

Txdela - I hope your nursing gets easier and you get to feeling better.  This beginning phase is so tiring!

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 9:11am

having two kids now Dh was in charge of Jacob...it almost got to the point where Jacob wanted DH for everything and that kinda hurt my feelings, but im sure thats just hormones still...now that DH has gone back to work Jacob is wanting me more but for the two weeks he had off I did everything with Amanda unless she wouldnt stop crying or wouldnt eat or wanted more more more! lol bf'ing does make it difficult tho..but she started eating ALOT more so we had to start formula also so DH can help more now, and I can get a break for a few minutes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 6:21am
We're beginning to see our prob is LO loves to take her time eating, so we have a hard time telling when she's full enough to be put down. She's nearly impossible to wake when feeding...

- JM