This restless mind of mine..

iVillage Member
This restless mind of mine..
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 2:06am
So I'm coming down to my last weeks of pregnancy and I am falling apart. I have so many worries about the future. I just want to be the best mom I can be but all I do is stress!
This pregnancy was unplanned. We weren't even dating. He denied it at first and then he changed his mind. We were good for about a month. Then he told me he had a gf I thought no big deal it'll just be like a step parent thing. A week later he told me his gf was pregant. Then it all went bad. We barely talk. He acts concerned about my son occasionally but I just think it's out of guilt.I'm fine with being a single mom. I'm a strong person. But now I have to deal with the last name issue. Who's name should I give him? & Today he tells me that his gf might lose their baby. I don't know what to do! Should I let him be a part of my sons life now? Or should I continue to cut him out just in case he decides to disappear? Is it fair to my son to not have his dad in the picture? Will he understand when he's older or will he hate me? My dad wasn't a part of my life & I am fine with that bc I had a strong mother for a role model. But I know boys need that male figure. I'm scared to date now bc I don't want him to get attached to someone and be upset later when he learns that isn't his dad. I just want to make the right choices for him but I don't know how to go about this. :/
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 2:18am
For the last name, if he's not involved give yours. Can always change it later, but if he stays gone you won't have to explain to your son his name. Don't purposefully cut him out but be cautious. If he acts right let him around and document it so if comes t court you have proof didn't withhold him. Your son won't hate for either way but you won't know if he'll disappear until he does. Male role models can be friends or family or a program when older.

My son is 15 months old now. He's in awe/obsessed with males. We go places and he talks to guys, wants males over females even me! He did this himself and I have male friends around. I've been dating for several months now. He hears their name, met a few, but nothing huge. Some have moved away and he's not noticed. So don't worry about dating/attached issues especially while small. Don't give the guy dad roles until he seems like he's a keeper and sticking around. Take it a day at a time. Just wait til diaper changes and potty training. Its hilarious lol!! Good luck.