Potty Training

iVillage Member
Potty Training
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 7:44am

Has anyone else started potty training their Snow Pea?  Jacob will tug at his diaper when he's wet, bring me a clean diaper when he's wet, and on occasion will even pee pee on the potty.  I don't want to push him too hard at this point, but I still want to encourage him to try if he's up for it.  Is anyone else at this point?  What are you doing to make it easier?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-02-2012 - 9:25pm
Leela is interested in the potty, but I'm lazy and prefer to wait until she's completely ready so that we can just make the switch to undies over a weekend. She tells me as she's pooping and gets her clean diaper for me immediately, and asks to sit on the potty sometimes (she likes to sit there and bear down and grunt like she's pretend pooping or something, I think she's just imitating her big sister)... so I think maybe by spring time we'll be able to send her outside with a dress and no diaper or undies to let her get a feel for things, and hopefully she'll switch over to undies in just a few days like Violet did.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 9:48pm
Oh, we're there too... James likes going in potties at stores, hotels, etc. But not so much at home. Sometimes he does, and sometimes, he doesn's. Sometimes he takes the diaper off and screams and fights to prevent one being put on, other time, screams and fights if we try to take it off. It's so different from our previous 2 kids, that we don't know what to think. DD (1st child) was potty trained during a week-long "potty camp" at home (on the advice of a skilled nanny friend, no pullups or going back once started) and it was pretty easy with dumdums as treats to get over her fear of going poo in the potty, instead of diapers as she'd been trained to do (she was over 2).
DS1 was done with dipes at 19 months. But he had had some EC experience.

This time, this once *could* have been potty trained at 19 months or younger, but I just didn't feel now was a good time, and used "he is going back and forth" as an excuse.

I have to admit, with some guilt, that my 1st two being in cloth, made me a lot more ready and willing to just get it over with and be done with diapers. This one being in Huggies makes me go, "Oh well, some days he wants to, others he doesn't...meh." and privately, I am hoping I don't have to tackle the potty boot camp til after the holidays.

If James were in cloth prefolds, with his loose stools, uh, he'd be outta diapers by now. But I'm open to each age and stage in life offering its own set of challenges and rewards. With homeschooling an 8 year old and an emerging son, if the toddler wants to rock along for a while in Huggies, so be it.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 8:48am
We haven't started yet. But I think Trey is getting closer to ready. He now runs up to us and says poop before he goes. I don't want to push him either. He is very interested in the toilet and in washing his hands when someone else is in the bathroom but I haven't tried letting him on it. Most boys don't potty train until 2-3 years so I'm not in a hurry. With a new little one on the way though, it would be nice to have him out of diapers first.