The First Presidential Debate

iVillage Member
The First Presidential Debate
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 8:30am

I wasn't going to watch the debate because my mind is already made up but I did anyways. I thought President Obama was horrible. He kept repeating strange statements and he didn't appear to know what he was talking about. It was like he had rehearsed for a different topic and was determined to stick to it no matter what. I'm so disappointed in the President. This is the guy who has been running our country for the last four years?

Brenda

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 10:20am
What a hoot! If you read his paper, people making over $100,000 but under $200,000 will pay more in taxes via loss of deductions. At least the truth is that his plan is far from a progressive tax plan. Maybe, Romney should just state that fact.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 5:11pm
"What a hoot! If you read his paper, people making over $100,000 but under $200,000 will pay more in taxes via loss of deductions. At least the truth is that his plan is far from a progressive tax plan. Maybe, Romney should just state that fact."

huh? Is this what you are talking about?
"Some people would regard a family with an income of $175,000 as being rich, while others would say that it is middle-class. Since who is “high- income” is in the eyes of the beholder, I again do the analysis twice, once for households with $100,000 or more in income, and once only for households with $200,000 or more.9"
So I take it that you are going with the left's brilliant collective response to Romney, Liar liar pant's on fire because that's all you have.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 5:38pm
That's pretty rich too, but I was mostly referring to his explanation of how the plan works.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 5:39pm
Oh, and I don't think Rosen is lying about the plan. I think he's telling us the truth.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 7:39pm
Well that's curious. You said the Romney tax plan is a lie, but now you say it's positive analysis by Rosen is the truth.
The Obuma line is that Romney will raise taxes on the middle class. Rosen disputes it via his analysis.
"Relatively little has been said about the possible effects of the Romney proposal on economic growth. This is curious because increasing growth is the motivation for the proposal in the first place" In this paper, I analyze the Romney proposal taking into account the additional income that might be generated by economic growth. The main conclusion is that under plausible assumptions, a proposal along the lines suggested by Governor Romney can both be revenue neutral and keep the net tax burden on high-income individuals about the same. That is, an increase in the tax burden on lower and middle income individuals is not required in order to make the overall plan revenue neutral."
Exactly as Romney said, economic growth, something anti-capitalists may not understand.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 7:47pm
About the same for high income folks who make over $200,000 but not for those making $100,000 up to that 20K magic number but words are fun to twist saying Rosen was smart enough to not commit to what the term middle class means.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 7:18am
Bottom line Romney won't raise taxes on anybody. His plan creates economic growth through jobs, which in turn will pay down the debt. What's the Obuma plan again? The same thing that hasn't worked? The economy is a disaster, the rate of growth is under 2%, real unemployment is above 10%, debt has exploded, more people then ever are receiving food stamps,middle class income is down. Foreign policy? Disaster!
They can't defend their record, all they have is Romney is a liar.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 6:12pm
Bottom line he will as stated in Rosen's paper.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 7:22pm
Well then, it should be easy to prove the plausible assumptions that Romney's tax plan could be both revenue neutral and keep the net tax burden on tax payers about the same. After all, the Reagan and GWB plans promised exactly that and increased the deficit. Third time's a charm?

This plan is bogus, and large deficits loom, and in the inimitable words of GWB

"There’s an old saying in Tennessee — I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool me, you can’t get fooled again."

If Romney/Ryan are elected, incoherence rules.
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 6:32am

""And you don't fix an economy by raising taxes on anybody.""

Gee..where have I heard that before????  

FLASHBACK: Obama Says You Don't Raise Taxes In A Recession

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aufAtuTwKlE