The First Presidential Debate

iVillage Member
The First Presidential Debate
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 8:30am

I wasn't going to watch the debate because my mind is already made up but I did anyways. I thought President Obama was horrible. He kept repeating strange statements and he didn't appear to know what he was talking about. It was like he had rehearsed for a different topic and was determined to stick to it no matter what. I'm so disappointed in the President. This is the guy who has been running our country for the last four years?

Brenda

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 12:15pm
brensticker wrote:
Last night I was watching news clipsof the President's "rebutal" and I am so disappointed. In my opinion he was behaving like a spoiled brat or one of those overpaid pompous sports stars who's been defeated by a newbie. His comments about the debate were sarcastic and he displayed an attitude I think extremely unbecomming for a man in his position. He seriously needs to take some time and regroup before he goes out in public again.

That is spot on! He was like a little child and couldn't admit he got schooled in the debate. So now he's mad.

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 8:11am

""Desperation has nothing to do with the facts: they both lied/evaded...but Romney raised it to an art form.""

Oh my!!  So you are saying they both lied, but Romney lied better?  It was a debate, for heavens sakes,  and it was Obama's job to refute anything Romney said that Obama considered a lie.  It was an epic fail on Obama's part.   Romney did a great job of refuting Obama's lies during the debate and it showed that Romney was in command and knowledgeable.  

""I didn't see the debate: I heard it on the radio.""

Part of a debate is watching body language and it was apparent that Obama was in over his head.  He couldn't even look at Romney when speaking. If you have kids you know that when they can't look you in the eye, they are not telling the truth. He also kept looking down and smirking when Romney was speaking. I think without his teleprompter and speech writers  telling him what to say, he couldn't respond, which shows that there is really no substance to him. He had to wait till the next day to refute some of what Romney said but he needed his speech writers and teleprompter to do it.  And also, one of the things Obama is saying Romney lied about, is a lie in itself.  Even his campaign spokesperson Stephanie Cutter had to admit that.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTL9PB1oiF0

""Personally I'd much rather have a chief executive who is able to take ownership of his policies/aims to the point that he would never take the voters for such fools.""

Then I take it that you are not going to vote for Obama.  He hasn't taken ownership of anything and has blamed everyone but himself for his failures.   

""But one of the candidates did lie quite a bit less than the other...I'm stunned that one is being given a "win" based on the fact that he played faster and looser with the facts than the other. Oh, and that he was high energy. (They drug kids in school for that nowadays.)""

Again, IF Romney lied so much, then Obama should have refuted those lies during the debate like Romney did with Obama. Obama  couldn't, and now the only thing Obama supporters have to cling to is this sad meme.  

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 8:07am

I am guessing not too many people think or realize something. How long it took our country to get out of the Great Depression. And how long it took FDR to do it. Plus he had alot more cooperation from his Congress. ESp geting the New Deal through and many of the other things that occured to get things done. If FDR had to work with this current congress we would still be in the Great Depression. Plus he was in office for almost 16 years. Another thing that helped us ut of the Great Depression was WWII. And I am thinking sometimes the mentality here is that is what we need is another WW and that will cure us of the current depression. That may be why some people are trying so hard to stir the pot in Forgein Affairs. But lets face it the next WW will probably be our last one because someone will drop more that just 2 nuclear bombs.

But I am slowly considering voting for a 3rd party canidate(much to the suprise of my Green Party BIL) just because I am tired of the grid lock and just because we voted D/R it is still the same old nonsense. Just change the names. And maybe we need to think more about 3rd partiesjust to shake up the other 2 in to actually working together

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 1:01am

Obama is in the position of having to defend the indefensible. He has failed to get the economy going, help the private sector, or create jobs. His focus has been on growing government and spending our money.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 8:00pm
Desperation has nothing to do with the facts: they both lied/evaded...but Romney raised it to an art form. I didn't see the debate: I heard it on the radio. Without the visual cues I think it was easier to focus on the words...and both gentlemen used part of their time to mislead their constituents...whether they were out and out lies, evasions, misdirections, or whatever. Personally I'd much rather have a chief executive who is able to take ownership of his policies/aims to the point that he would never take the voters for such fools. But one of the candidates did lie quite a bit less than the other...I'm stunned that one is being given a "win" based on the fact that he played faster and looser with the facts than the other. Oh, and that he was high energy. (They drug kids in school for that nowadays.)
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 6:58pm

I see the desperation in the Obama supporters.  Romney lied Romney lied!!!!  Obama did so poorly in the debate (and of course HE didn't lie, cough cough) that his supporters have to whine and cry that Romney lied. The game is up.  Obama has been shown for exactly what he is, a clueless empty suit.  The polls are already showing the aftermath, and it's not looking good for Obama. 

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 5:10pm
"looked" Presidential...okaaayyyyy...but I was actually more interested in how he sounded: like a liar.
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 4:03pm

Isn't mortgage interest deduction considered a loophole? By not being specific how can we know if he could really raise enough revenue by closing them to offset his tax cuts and defense spending?

So all he has to say is I am going to implement a better health care plan and that is good enough for you? Seriously?

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 4:03pm

No, Romney just looked Presidential, more so than the actual president.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 10:42am
I was quite displeased with the evasiveness of both of the candidates. Obama never responded to Romney's contention that D-F mandates that five banks are "too big to fail". He didn't give a convincing explanation of the Medicare cut...after he was done, it still sounded like a cut.

But Romney lied or changed position on just about everything: suddenly we're looking at a moderate that I'd seriously consider as a candidate...not that far from Obama in lots of ways...if I didn't know his background, hadn't heard his "47%" comment (which he walked back from yesterday...I wonder what his deep pocketed donors think about that). Romney was absolutely unconvincing with his blithe assertion that somehow Romneycare works as a state mandate but not a federal one...if government can't be trusted with your money, it can't be trusted, no matter where it is...and because local problems call for local solutions (his argument), that means that a local solution can eliminate those with preexisting conditions, which is already the case. He didn't explain how his magic tax math works. He tried to invoke shades of the "death panels" without actually saying so.

So just how did Romney "win" the debate: by convincing people that he is just an inexperienced version of Obama, but one that can reach across the aisle (something Obama has NEVER tried :smileywink: ..."Vote for me because now I'm him, and he's been a terrible president...but I KNOW I'd do better because of my experience outsourcing America's jobs"? It just doesn't add up...not the tax argument, nor any of the rest.